Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What is Normal?

This morning's workout was not the most normal workout, but that's to be expected these days, I guess. The first exercise was lunge press, 6×30 sec each leg, quick break between legs, 30 seconds rest between sets. I was feeling my hip flexors on all of them, and the last 2 sets were especially hard. Then I just felt weak. There was an interesting thought progression going on in my mind throughout the sets.
  1. Hello, hip flexors. Work with me, please.
  2. I don't think this should be as hard as it is.
  3. Are my legs ever weak today!
  4. Oh, I know what this means.
  5. Just keep making your legs work. Only one left.
  6. This is as hard as it's going to get. As soon as you're done, you can lay down and recover.
I can't say I'm too proud of that, but I am proud that I finished all 6 sets. Somewhere in there I was also thinking about what I'd have been doing had I been running. I've had days where I've gone out, made it about 400 yards, turned around, tried again, repeated, quit. That's what today felt like, only I actually had someone there watching and was thus determined to finish at least the set. As soon as I finished, my stomach felt like it does after we run hard. I know the feeling well and don't like it at all.

I was supposed to have done altitude drops, 5×10, but did 1 and decided that I wasn't going to be comfortable standing on the bench and jumping off. So we skipped that. I also could have done 10×10 seconds work with 10 seconds rest low squat foot jumps, but I nixed that pretty quickly and instead we moved to upper body stuff: push up, 3-minute iso, from the top; and rebound upright row, 10×10 seconds work with 10 seconds rest each arm. So I guess we only skipped two things, but given that I was feeling weak, I was definitely happy to have not done those two.

We worked out later with Zach; he definitely worked harder than I did!
  • 3-min extreme slow wall squat
  • 3-min extreme slow push up
  • 3-min standing ham
  • 3-min extreme slow seated curl, 1.5-lb dumbbells

No comments: