Monday, January 18, 2010


I knew this morning's workout was going to be a good one when Will texted at 5:45 and said to make sure I had shoes to run in. Usually I wear flats, which are better for balance, that I don't wear to run in because they're pretty worn out (two times through the washer and the dryer will do that to any shoe). I thought I'd be on the treadmill, though, not outside. Instead, he had a nice surprise workout waiting for Luke and me when we got to the workout room.
  • Lunge: 30 seconds each leg
  • Run: 0.25 miles (we measured it later and it was exactly a quarter mile)
  • Repeat, switching legs for the lunge, for a total of 6 sets
The run was out and back in our parking lot outside. It was wet but not slippery until we got to the place where we were supposed to turn around, and there was a bit of sand that slowed us down every time. Fortunately neither of us slipped, and thankfully we didn't have any traffic to contend with. I definitely slowed down after the first 2 or 3, but I think I was around 1:30–1:40 (maybe 20 or so seconds behind Luke?). Will was timing, so I wasn't sure. My stomach was not feeling so hot for the last 4, but I still ran and just tried to forget the discomfort.

Then there was more:
  • Standing extreme ham: 5 minutes. I thought last week's was the hardest every; today's surpassed that. It felt like my legs were going to give out backward (like my knees were going to bend the opposite direction they were supposed to). Luke felt the same thing and almost did fall (except the wall was behind him and caught him).
  • Push up: 30 seconds
  • Seated arm swings: 20 seconds
  • Repeat the previous two 6 times
  • Curl: 5 minutes extreme slow (10-lb dumbbell)
Then I got to work and was starving.

I forget what the evening workout was, but I know it included the following:
  • Lunge press: 3×3 each leg, 30 seconds work, 30 seconds rest
  • Low-squat foot jumps: 10×10 seconds (Will kept telling me to straighten my arms)
  • Push up: 3 minutes, at the top

No comments: