Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Silver Chair

I've been reading (well, listening) through C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia lately, and today was book 6 of 7, The Silver Chair. Given all the ridiculous emotions I've been going through lately, this quote from the narrator about Jill stood out to me as not only amusing but also very true:
Crying is alright in its way while it lasts, but you have to stop sooner or later. And then you still have to decide what to do. [The Silver Chair, CD 1, Track 3, 00:51]
I did a little workout this morning: 500 + 100 swim. For variety's sake, I changed the 500 a little by swimming 100 hard, 100 easy, 100 hard, 100 easy, and 100 hard. Total time was 8:14—not much different than when I swim all 500 hard! Times: 1:27, 1:44, 1:35, 1:50, 1:37. (Very similar, in fact, to Tuesday where I tried to do all 5 hard: 1:27, 1:39, 1:41, 1:39, 1:37 for 8:04.) The final 100 was a little cool down: 1:41. My timing was just right and I finished when the 8am spin class was just finishing. That meant I got to see all my cycling friends. And, Jonell is going to join me for Tuesday's swim. Hooray for friends and feet to draft off of!

My morning/afternoon project was looking through and sorting some of the pictures I brought back at Thanksgiving. This was by far my best day: I made it through 1 entire box, put them all in order, and put them in a book. I was confident enough that I wouldn't find pictures from that era in other boxes. And I couldn't throw any of these particular pictures away. They were all from between 1954 and 1970—my mom's growing-up years. There are some real gems in there!

Lots of pictures
Will came over for a short but hard workout (I felt like I really needed to do something after having sat on the floor all morning): 30 seconds iso, 20 reps of some sort, repeat both for 6 total sets.
  • Wall squat (iso), low squat foot jumps
  • Standing extreme hamstring (iso), Russian lunge (10 each leg each time)
  • Push up (iso), front delt (rebounds, 1.5-lb dumbbells)
  • Scap pull up (iso), bent over row (rebounds, 1.5-lb dumbbells, one arm at a time)

No comments: