Saturday, January 16, 2010

Peanut Butter and Pickles

Today I mostly failed during my run. But that means that I partly succeeded, so I'll dwell on that I think. Here's what I wanted to do:
  • Run 7 minutes at 7-min/mile pace
  • Walk 1 minute
  • Run 4 minutes at 6-6:30-min/mile pace
  • Walk 2 minutes
  • Run 4 minutes at 6-6:30-min/mile pace
  • Walk 2 minutes
  • Repeat at least once
Here's what I accomplished:
  • Run 7:14 at 7:14-min/mile pace (6:11 best)
  • Walk 1:46
  • Run 1:05 at 6:10-min/mile pace (5:07 best)
  • Walk 9:55
  • Run 0.1 miles, walk 0.1 miles, for the remaining 0.7 miles (8 minutes), 10:52 pace (4:56 best)
  • Totals: 28 minutes, 2.5 miles, 11:11 pace (4:56 best), 270 cal
Even though the 1-min walk didn't happen, I still felt good after the first mile. Then after the first of 4 minutes in the second run part, I started feeling like I had last time. It's definitely not indigestion or anything—it feels more like cramps. I just wanted to curl up into a ball and lay on the ground. But I kept moving, hoping that it would go away quicker if I moved around. Not so much. I don't know what to do to keep that from happening, but I definitely don't like the feeling. However, I now have something to build on. So if I can just decrease the time of the first mile and then increase the time in the next interval, I'll feel like I'm getting faster. Even if I have to stop and walk for 10 minutes. Maybe that time will decrease as well. Someday I'll get to where I want to be. I had with me the goals Will had me write earlier, so that's what I was thinking about. I can achieve them. I can do it. Eventually...

Will and I had talked a little while ago about how he thought that a peanut butter and pickle sandwich, as long as it was the good (healthy) peanut butter on wheat bread, tasted really good. Today I made some bread (the apt smells so good now), so I decided to try his suggestion. Surprisingly, it wasn't too bad.

Odd: Peanut butter and pickles

Not as good as the usual PB&J or PB & honey, but didn't taste awful and I didn't feel like gagging! I like peanut butter and I like pickles, so I thought it might taste OK. I'm not sure I need to make it a staple in my diet, but if I thought about making it again, I would and I'd eat it.

Normal: Peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and honey
The PM workout was short, sweet, and HARD. My arms are still sore from yesterday morning's EDI/manual hold push up, but there was no push up today so I was happy.
  • 1-leg dead lift: 6x3 each side, 40-lb bar. Same weight, but I went down lower (although not all the way to the ground) than I had been and I focused on not letting my knee come forward. Hello, glutes.
  • Russian lunge: 6x3 each side, continuous. Yikes. That made my HR spike fast. But it felt good.
  • Bench press: 6x3. No weight requirement, so I did 65 lb. Probably could have done more had I had a spotter.
  • 1-arm curl: 6x3, 15-lb bar.

No comments: