Saturday, February 14, 2009

Predators 5K

If there is a flat, sheltered road in downtown Nashville, we inconveniently avoided it this morning. The Fangtastic 5K course is surprisingly hilly, and it was uncharacteristically windy this morning. Both of those factors contributed to my so-so race, where I finished 13 seconds slower than last year on the same course. Total time: 23:49. Average mile time: 7:41. It wasn't my worst ever time, but it wasn't close to my best, either. I felt good, though, and I ran hard. Then I did something I don't remember ever having done after a race before: I left immediately. I had hoped to catch the Roberts so that I could go up with them to Will's game, but I missed them by about 5 minutes. That most disappointed me because I've really started looking forward to the drives up there with Nancy (and it would have beaten sitting at home for the night).

Race notes: There were 1,504 finishers, and I ended up 3rd in my age group of 183. We had the largest group of finishers. Since stats are one of my things, here are a few more: 782 females; 38 beat me. 711 males; 132 beat me. I finished 161 of 1,504 (that's what the website says, not 1,493 like the previous totals add up to; I went through all the results myself--I'd like to know how they get 1,504!) overall. Fastest male's time: 15:53; fastest female's time: 19:03.

The weather was really windy but about 55* and sunny, so it was pretty comfortable. This is a hilly course. I helped some guy get a PR by 8 seconds...he was thrilled at the end! My last mile looked 30 seconds slower than the other two, but I forgot about the 0.1 at the end, so that makes me feel a little better. Note to self: Hydrate or die will be the motto for the season!

So instead of watching hockey and hanging out with the Roberts, I had a chance to get out on my bike! It was colder than I had thought it was going to be, but it was still a good 30-mile mile. It was a little under 2 hours, and minus the cooldown I was at about a 16-mph average. Not so good, but the wind was not my friend in either event today.

Ride notes: Some guy made my day by cheering for me at the top of Lynwood Way. Thanks, man in a tan suburban! Boyd Mill Road is TERRIBLE; it definitely needs to be repaved. I didn't get chased by any dogs; that's a successful ride! I hit 44 mph going down Lynwood Way.

Something interesting I realized today: In all my dreams, I'm never alone. It's always "we," "us," "they," etc. The people are typically family, close friends, or people from high school; rarely is anyone from college (besides Lana and seldom a few teammates) in my dreams.

No comments: