Sunday, February 8, 2009

Inversion Multi-Generational Lunch

Today was another amazing day, and I took what advantage of it that I could. Robyn, the wife of our pastor of Inversion, graciously opened her home to some 50–60 women of all ages (baby Ryland was the only male); we spanned multiple generations, with the youngest girl being 4-and-one-half and the oldest woman being over 62 (she wouldn't admit her age, but she was older than the oldest woman who would). We just stood around and talked for the first part, and Jesi was there so it was nice to be able to see her and find out how her running has been going. Then we had food. How do you serve that many people food that they'll all like??

Robin had a great spread for us all: lemon water and sweet tea on one counter; baked beans and Mexican rice on one counter; and chips, seasoned beef, cheese, tomatoes, peppers, olives, lettuce, parsley, salsa, and sour cream all in separate bowls on another counter. What a good way to do it—then you can make a taco salad like some people or get whatever you want and eat it separately like other people. For dessert, she had a chocolate fondue fountain with strawberries, pineapple, pretzels, cookies, and marshmallows (which I ate too many of) to dip in or cookies or pie. Fantastic!

We did a couple "get to know you" things. Mainly we introduced ourselves to the people we were sitting with, but then we also had a paper with age groups (4–20, 21–30, 31–40, 41–50, and 51–whatever) and blank lines. Robyn's theme was love (it's close to Valentine's Day, after all; also, God is love), so on one line we had to write someone's name and on the other, their favorite food. Fortunately she put a time limit on it. After we filled out index cards with our names and addresses, we looked a question she had written that required an answer. Mine was something along the lines of, "Think of your best girl friend; if she lost her voice, what would she give you to show you how much your friendship means?" I thought of Lana and said that she would give me something that she had made—a purse, cards, or something—because that's how she shows love. Another was something like, "What would you give to a person of the opposite sex to show them how much you love them?" Another was similar to, "If love were a food, what would you make for someone you love, and why?"

Then we grouped up into 5 groups and we supposed to move to 5 stations, but we didn't have enough time to make it to all of them. We (Amy, Heather, someone, Mary, Lyn, Gracie, ReNay, Joy, someone else, Maddy, Adia, and Jen) started by reading our answer to the question, then said our names and love language.

The five love languages are the following:
  1. Acts of Service
  2. Gifts
  3. Words of Affirmation
  4. Quality Time
  5. Physical Touch
1 and 3 were the predominantly mentioned ones. The way I feel loved is primarily #3, Words of Affirmation, and secondarily #4, Quality Time. The way I express love is primarily #3, Words of Affirmation, and secondarily #1, Acts of Service.

From there we moved to the den where we prayed for people we love. I love my family and prayed for them; I'm so grateful to God that He gave me the parents He did and that they raised me the way that they did—to glorify and obey Him as well as I can. I love the Roberts family and prayed for them, too; they have become great friends, and Nancy is a wise woman who has taught me so much about God and about being obedient and about listening to what God has to say while still having a plan.

Then we went to the kitchen to decorate cookies. They are shaped like a heart, and we are supposed to give ours to someone who is hard to love. I can't really think of anyone in my life like that, so I'm going to keep it in my car and pray that God shows me who to give it to—I want to be ready to be His ambassador and show His love to someone! Finally, she handed out the cards with names and addresses. We are to send a card to whosever name is on there with an encouraging note that conveys God's love for them. That should be fun!

I had to go run, then, just to get outside. I had 18 miles @ 9:08 or 45 minutes. Guess which one I choose, considering I got home just before 4:30? Yep, the latter! 6 miles, 49:18 total time. My GPS wasn't working, so I didn't get accurate mile splits after the first two (8:14 and 8:02), but it averages out to 8:13 or so and I totally slowed down the last 1.3 miles. Then off to the workout room at the apt for 5 on thru 40.
  • Glute ham: Went like normal; really tried to focus on glutes working and lower back not working.
  • Standing ham: The 5-second breaks are hardly breaks on this one, because there's no time to stand. Oh, and my hammys were already well-worked from glute ham, but I think that made me lengthen them even more!
  • Lunge: This always ends up being more like 5 on, 10 off, 10 on, 10 off thru 40 because I get so lightheaded, but I really tried to pull lower and did not need to put my knee down for any. I also figured out it works really well if I clip my watch to my short sleeve so I can actually hear it beeping.
  • Push up on feet: On my feet the entire time. Hooray! I did have to take a couple extra-second breaks to wipe off the benches so that my hands wouldn't slip, but I just forced myself to stay up and work hard. I forget what this one is lengthening, though, but I was trying to work the lats the whole time.
  • Curl: 15-lb dumbbells. I had to drop them on the last rep, so I got up, picked up 5-lb dumbbells, and did the last rep with those. The whole lengthening the biceps thing was hard!
  • Crate crunch: This one can be hard if I make it hard, and I decided to make it hard (squeeze harder and shorten more). I know if I've worked hard because I can't walk when I stand up.
As much as triathlons and hockey are different, I know this stuff is making me stronger and faster. Plus I haven't gotten injured (besides the blisters, but that hardly counts and the bad one must be healing because it didn't bother me at all today—of course, that might have had something to do with the better socks and the body glide) and shouldn't if I do everything right.

No comments: