Sunday, February 22, 2009

Percy Warner is One Big Hill!

Today's 1:37, ~12-mile run (@ ~7:55 min per mi) looked something like this:

Supposed run route through Bellvue (or was it Belle Meade?) and Percy Warner Park

I'm not sure I got the correct route through the neighborhoods, and I know based on the graphic below that it was more like 12 miles. Plus, I didn't really just zigzag through Percy Warner Park; there is actually a road there that I ran up. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my GPS, so I'm not exactly sure how long I ran through the park. I ran to the top and then turned around. It was a fabulous run through Percy Warner, especially since I saw 5 cars, 2 runners, and 3 cyclists the entire time I was in there.

Route through Percy Warner Park

The gray line represents the out-and-back route I think I did through Percy Warner. According to the legend and my estimation, it was about 3 miles out/up and the same back/down. I could not find a good elevation map, which is a bummer because it's a really good hill that I ran up (and then down—I definitely went the right way first!).

Then it was off to MFY. I had thought that I wouldn't have the energy to do today's workout (I should have done it yesterday but didn't), so I resolved to do only whatever weight I'd done before and not add any. The surprising thing was that I actually didn't have any trouble with that weight.

3x30-sec heavy; 2 minutes between each (this took nearly 1:30):
  • Lunge: heavy bar + 25lb plate on each side. I did not attempt to stand up for any of these, and that actually worked better because I could focus more. Since my legs were definitely already warm, I could really pull deeper, too. Fancy that.
  • 1-leg squat: 35-lb plate. I think I did this correctly, because my back knee wasn't bothering me significantly for any of these.
  • Glute ham raise: no weight. However, I can actually lift myself partly off the ground now, without using my arms for assistance.
  • Standing extreme hamstring: 45-lb plate. Again, I could really pull deeper than normal due to being warm. I tried to use the 100-lb plates, but that wasn't happening. :-)
  • Push up on knees: 45-lb plate. This was almost too easy (although I couldn't push up at all with the weight).
  • Preacher curl: 40-lb bar. I needed Will on this one. I just did not feel like I was doing it right at all. I couldn't get the "lengthen your biceps" vision down.
  • Scap pull up: I had the pin in just the top thing on the pull up machine, which I think is 50 lb assistance (my guess, since it's not labeled but the next plate, which is labeled, is 60 lb assistance). I could hold on for all 3 reps (after all, if it had been a matter of life or death, I would not have wanted to fall), but I could not pull myself up. I can do pull ups; I can't figure this one out.
  • Crate crunch (with plate extended at arm's length): 45-lb plate.

No comments: