Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Training...and Learning (2×1,200 + 2×800)

Today's workout was a hard one, but fortunately Anna and I could run together, and having a running partner makes the time go by so much faster! We started with a 15-min warmup (MFY to BA) and then got into the hard stuff after a few stretches (I was plenty warm, but she wanted to do strides and stuff).
  • 2×1,200 @ 5:10 with a 2-min rest interval (RI): 5:04 and 5:08. Woohoo! We made the times on both of them! Success!!
  • 4×800 @ 3:23 with a 2-min RI: We did only two. We had both looked at the workout; Anna saw 2 and I saw 4, so we said we'd decide when we were on the track (but we were both leaning toward 2). 3:27 and 3:27. So we didn't make either one, but we ran a fabulous pace for both.
  • Including warmup and cooldown, it was just 6 miles and exactly 1 hour. Considering we took a three 2-min RIs and one 3-min RI plus at least 5 minutes before the first interval for a total of 14 resting minutes, we did quite well!
  • Average pace (minus RIs noted above): 7:39 min/mile; 7.83 mph
There was an excessive amount of wind for half of each lap. I tried not to slow down, but I definitely did. Anna skipped the middle lap for the 1,200s, and I lost nearly 10 seconds on the second interval (we picked up 6 when she jumped back in). When running into the wind, I TOTALLY leaned forward. Bad!!!!! I noticed it especially on the first one and really tried to focus on NOT doing so on the rest of the laps; that was definitely the focus of today's run. It also could have been breathing through my nose, but I was so not as worried about that as I was about making the time goals. Considering the wind, I'm happy with the times but would have liked to have hit them all. Next time! We'll see what Saturday holds and whether I'm getting faster for real or just had a good day today.

Then I just had to ride 30 minutes, so I hit up one of the bikes at MFY so I could shower and head home. Not sure how far or fast I rode, but I worked up a sweat and beat my pacer every time, so it was a successful ride.

It's taken me a long time to realize this (I mean, I think I've known it, but I haven't made whatever connection I needed to in my head): I thrive on learning from other people and am therefore drawn to those who can teach and those who make me think. That's why I like working out with Will so much, and why I enjoy my trips with Nancy to Indiana—he teaches me his knowledge of exercise and physical things, and she teaches me things about life from her motherly, godly, and wise perspective. That's why I always ask Michael at work questions—he answers them in a way that I understand but that always tells me something I didn't know. Since I get so much out of those interactions, I wonder if I'm giving anything? And if not, what can I give?

No comments: