Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Swim #3

Unfortunately, swimming at 5am does not guarantee that you will have a lane to yourself. At least not at the Brentwood Y. I can't wait until Maryland Farms' outdoor pool (50m) opens! Oh, well. I shared with a guy for a couple lengths, then he got out and I had the lane to myself. But that was only because it was a narrow lane; everyone else had to share. In the time I had, I completed 2,200 of the required 2,500 meters; I need to leave 5 minutes earlier in the morning.
  • 300 warmup, 8×50 drills
  • 16×25 @ 10 seconds (each length was between 20–22 seconds)
  • 1×400 @ 60 seconds (7:12.60)
  • 16×25 @ 10 seconds (each length was between 20–22 seconds)
  • 8×50 drills (I completed 2)
  • 200 cooldown
A 30-minute run was first after work. It has been nice enough to run outside, so I headed out from the MFY. Ward Circle to Virginia Way to the intersection at Granny White Pike: 1.14 mi; that intersection to Belle Rive: 0.8 mi; total out: 1.94 mi; total mileage: 3.88.
  • 9:43 (1.14 mi)
  • 5:38 (0.8 mi)
  • 5:47 (0.8 mi)
  • 9:15 (1.14 mi)
  • Total time: 30:25
  • Avg. pace: 7.6 MPH; 7:53 min/mi
I only had to run 30 minutes, and my only note to myself was "8 or under"; I succeeded there!

Then I forgot how hard 10×10 seconds, 3 sets, is.
  • Lunge: For whatever reason, I was really leaning forward on the last set of the left leg. I tried not to when I noticed it, but I couldn't feel that I was leaning, only see it in the mirror. I tried to make sure I was pulling into the deepest position possible, but then it was hard to push up like someone was holding me down. It was definitely hard work. I took 30–40 seconds between legs, and about 2 minutes between sets. My HR was up the whole time, so that's good. I'll take the longer rests if it means I'm working harder.
  • Glute ham: reps to arm's length. The focus on this one was to use my hamstrings on the up and the down of each rep. Last week I was only half way there on all exercises, so I'm working on that. Saw a friend here (Tim) who tried to distract me; I don't think people realize I'm working hard--probably because everything looks so weird. This one, for instance, requires laying on the ground with my feet under the bar (near the floor) of a bench used for bench press. Then I put weights on the bar on the bench and lay on the floor.
  • Wall squat: This one is really hard to pretend someone is holding me down, but I did the up reps hard.
  • Curl: 15-lb bar. I did the first alone, but there was a guy named Tom who was resting from his jumps/wall squats when I was about to start my second set, so I asked him to help me. I'm glad I did, because that one is always way better with someone to help. He did the last two sets with me.
    Jason (bro-in-law) and me in Hawaii working out; this is how this exercise looks
  • Push up on feet: Actually, he said feet/knees, and I said I'd try to do them all on my feet. If it didn't require that I push up for each rep, I could hold myself up on my feet the whole time. But I didn't even get 3 full push ups. Then the last set frustrated me to no end; for the last 4 I could barely even hold myself up, much less push up at all, and I didn't even have anyone holding me that I had to push up against. I did them all, but for those last 4 I had to reset after every down because I couldn't hold myself up.
  • Crate crunch: This is another hard one to pretend someone's holding you, but I did my best.
Now it's off to bed! I forgot what these 5am–7pm days are like, but I'd better be getting used to them.

No comments: