Sunday, February 1, 2009

Bike!

After church (I love the Marreros!), I finally got on my bike today, after almost 2 months not on my bike and 1+ months not on any bike except to spin once. It was a fantastic ride! Evidence that I hadn't been riding: bike tire pressure at 40 PSI. It should be at 110.

I rode the Lynwood Way loop, saw Greg and Laura at the top of North Berry's Chapel, and came home to sit in the hot tub for a long time and talk to Liz. 12.4 miles, 50 minutes. 14.7 avg. MPH, 41 max speed. Not bad for the first time in a long time.

Then I went to the house of Gabe from Inversion to watch the Superbowl. This guy's house was incredible. I had my camera with me, but I left it in the car (along with my chap stick...oops!). Huge vaulted ceilings, a great pool, an amazing view out the back of the sunset, plenty of room downstairs, on the main floor, and upstairs for all probably 200 of us. Plus he fed us all! Good burgers and chips, no veggies. I can't complain, though; he is very hospitable.

I met a few new people (Charlotte, who lives in the Landings and who Will and I had seen earlier at the office; Nathan, a grad student at Vandy; Darrell, a sales manager at Dell; JD, Ida, Alicia, Naomi, Alicia, Kevin, Jonathan; and a few others whose names fail me because I didn't really talk to them), saw more people than I even knew I knew (Casey, Tim, Clint, Eric, Rachel, Casey, Jonathan, Jen, Patrick, and Miriam, among others), and got to chat for a minute with my one friend who I knew would be there (Jesi). Wow. That doesn't even scratch the surface of how many people were there! To say it was overwhelming to some extent would be a slight understatement. But mainly I just played pool all night until The Office came on, at which point I finally sat down to watch TV. The whole night was more about interaction anyway, and I didn't really care about the game.

The best part of the night was probably watching Peter, one of the shuttle drivers (yes, shuttles; we parked at a school and determined that no one carpools anymore, since we filled up the parking lot), back out of Gabe's driveway. Pretty impressive down a narrow strip with rocks on one side and a little cliff on the other; we applauded him at the end, but probably more for his service than anything.

No comments: