Wednesday, February 4, 2009

New Running Partner

Anna and I finally got together today to run, and at my request we went to MFY to run 1-mile repeats on the treadmills. Unfortunately, because it was 22* outside, we couldn't find treadmills next to each other, but we did get on two at the same time. The goal for today's run was three 1-miles at 7:02 with a 1-minute rest interval. Anna has done a lot of track work as said right away that 1 minute was not sufficient, so we agreed to do at least 2. Then we had to set the pace to 8.5 mph and run away. I did not make the goal for any mile even though I knew it would be just 7 minutes of work; I just can't run that fast for that long right now. I'm working toward that speed, though!

11:11 warmup, 7:17, 2:15-RI, 8:15, 3:44-RI (because we went down to the track for the last mile), 7:49 (without really aiming for anything...we were just running and talking), 13:18 cooldown. Approximate total mileage: 6.5.

Then we started on tomorrow's 7 minutes of work. I wanted to do the exercises, and Anna was willing to join me. Plus this particular workout always takes a long time, so I got a head start on tomorrow.
  • Push up: on knees, 6 minutes (a new PB!) and then only that one time did I need to restart. Hooray! 1-19: 2 min. 12-16: 2:40. 12-7: less than 2. 11-6: 2:30. 10-31: not sure. 10-9: 3 min. So today I showed obvious improvement. I wonder why. Maybe I wasn't working as hard as I should have been, but I hope it's really that I've gotten stronger.
  • Standing extreme ham: 7 minutes. This one you just have to make yourself work hard the entire time if you're going to get the max benefit, because otherwise you can let gravity do what you don't want to.

No comments: