Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Swim #1; 30 min; 10×30

The last time I swam was December 28, in the ocean with Mom. It looked something like this.

Watching the sunset in Hawaii

Today started my IM training (well, yesterday was the first day on the schedule, but it was a rest day), so I'll be starting to up the time and mileage over the next weeks. Fun times. But all the workouts are laid out, and I like that. I don't have to think about what I'm going to be doing the next week--it's all right there for me. That's also why I have someone do strength/conditioning stuff for me; if I had to think about it, I wouldn't work as hard nor would I stick with the schedule because I would have just made it myself.

I did the swim workout early AM; there were few people in the pool, so that will start becoming habit.
  • 300 warmup
  • 8×50 drills (pull buoy, fists, kickboard, right side, left side, kickboard, pull buoy, fingers' dragging)
  • 12×100 @ 20 seconds; besides the first one (fresh) and the seventh one (girl in my way on the flip turns), I varied only 4 seconds. I'm happy with the variance but not necessarily with the time. A 1:35 100 means a 4:45 300 and a 7:55 500. The highschoolers at the meet I was at last week were swimming between 5- and 7-minute 500s. 12×100 times: 1:35, 1:41, 1:44, 1:45, 1:43, 1:45, 1:47, 1:44, 1:45, 1:44, 1:44, 1:42. Total time for that 1,200 (including eleven 20-second rest intervals): 24:50. Average 100m time: 1:43
  • 100 cooldown, for a total of 2,000 meters
  • One set of 8×50 drills and a 100 cooldown remained (another 500 meters), but I had to get going.
Since I didn't finish the whole workout, I'll have to start leaving earlier. Especially when the distance starts increasing. After work it was back to the Y to run 30 minutes. Besides that my feet (especially the left) didn't warm up until 2+ miles into my 3.5-mile run, they did cooperate, due probably in part to the 2-weeks' rest I've had and the body glide. That's a good sign. The miles were slow and I didn't care: 9:42, 9:13, and 8:53. Then I had to do 10x30 seconds.
  • Push up on feet: I always cringe when I see that. I know I can't do it and that frustrates me. I started on my feet and lasted through 2 reps, but I couldn't push up really at all. I did the remaining 8 on my knees and pushed up all the way on all of them.
  • Curl: 22-lb bar. I have to use a slightly heavier bar than I probably would be using if I were actually doing the manual hold part of this. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be getting more out of it if I had a partner to work with more than once every week or two.
  • Crate crunch: Now that I actually understand this one I hopefully will be able to do it right (even without the manual hold, which you can have even on this one).
  • Lunge: Left leg first. That was my own modification. It was OK, but I definitely get exhausted after the first set no matter which leg I start on. I kept getting lightheaded on the right side and I don't know why. It felt like dehydration but I'm quite sure I wasn't--I drank at least 80 ounces of water and got drinks between the previous exercises. Plus I ate well enough today (eggs, bread, and cheese for breakfast; celery with pb and carrots; celery and broccoli with chicken and a salad; celery, broccoli, green peppers, and almonds). It was weird. I did 10 then 7 and finished after glute ham.
  • Glute ham: After each interval, I did one rep all the way up. I could tell on the first one that I definitely wasn't using my muscles correctly and really worked on that the rest of the time. I don't want to be slacking or lagging from where I should be.
  • Lunge: I finished the remaining 3 on the right leg.

No comments: