Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wisdom and Seduction in Proverbs

Proverbs 7:1-3 My daughter, keep my words and store up my commands within you. Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.

The rest of this proverb goes on to explain how a young man was seduced by a married woman. Lord, help me not be anything like that woman; help me to encourage, build up, support, and draw young men closer to you and possible into a relationship with You through my words and actions. Help me not to be any of the following (and if I am, please convict me, forgive me, and help me to turn around and repent and not commit those sins again—I do not want to be far from You because of my sins and refusal to repent):
  • Dressed like a prostitute (10)
  • With crafty intent (10)
  • Loud and defiant (11–12)
  • Never staying at home (11–12)
  • Brazen; prepared for a lover (13, 14–18)
  • Unfaithful (19–20)
  • With persuasive words (21)
  • Leading others astray (21)
  • Seducing with smooth talk (21)
  • Having many victims (26)
  • Slaying a mighty throng (26)
  • Having a house that’s a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death (27)

No comments: