Friday, January 23, 2009

New Things

Today was a day for fun things, so I left work early and went to Maryland Farms for an interview. Not a job interview, but a DVD interview. The person who has produced Cedarville's recruiting DVDs for the last 20 or so years was coming through Nashville. He wanted people to interview, and I know the head guy in the Career Services department at the school. He recommended me and I acquiesced, knowing it would probably not be something I'd be asked to do again and wanting to experience it. He asked me a ton of questions about Cedarville, softball, what I'm doing now, whether I was prepared after graduation, and all that fun stuff. I answered as truthfully and best I could (while trying to look at him [he was yawning a lot] and trying not to rock side to side on my chair) and had fun, for just this one time. Not something I'd need to do again, but maybe I'll change my mind when the DVD comes out. Hopefully I'll get a copy of it.

I did learn that I have a lot of trouble expressing what I'm really wanting to communicate when I have no forewarning. I tried to ask what was expected of me both just before the interview and a few days ago, but neither answer was really clear. I had to ask the guy today to narrow down his questions; he asked really broad ones, and I asked for something more leading so that I could formulate a coherent thought and sentences.

Then I went to Luke's swim meet at the ISC. He did the 200 free, 500 free, and 4x100 (400 total) free relay. He made the state cut for the 200 free, had already made it for the 500, and did really well in them all. A pleasant surprise was seeing the Marables, Marreros, and Ledbetters there (and a few other familiar faces that I couldn't place, so I didn't talk to them) and being able to watch Morgan and Susanna swim. They both did well also and I enjoyed cheering for them (I wondered whether they could hear us cheering, but Susanna assured me that yes, when she flip-turns, she can hear the cheers).

Susanna was excited that I was there and said that when I make it to Hawaii, she'll come out to cheer, so I voluteered to find housing for her if she paid for the ticket. How sweet would that be if I had an entire crew come with me!! I wish I'd have had my camera with me to take some pictures. I had forgotten how energetic high schoolers are, but it didn't make me wish I'd been in swimming in high school.

No comments: