Thursday, January 8, 2009

4.5 mi; 10 10 10 EDI

On the way to class, I stopped at Tampa Bay Downs, the race track around here, and got a few pictures of the jockeys on their horses. I had forgotten how big horses are! When I drove into the parking lot, the attendant asked what I was doing. I said I wanted to watch, and he said I could but I couldn't drive up to the fence. He didn't want my car alarm going off or my starting the car to spook the horses. They might throw the rider off and kill them! It was only a short watch, but it was cool watching them practice!

At lunch, I took a walk around the building to enjoy the sun and saw Charlie! When my family visits Siesta Key every other year, this egret always comes to visit us. Years ago we named it Charlie, and I just know this is the same bird, just coming to make me feel at home!

After class today, I came back to the hotel to run while it was still slightly light and comfortable outside.
  • Distance: 4.5 miles
  • Time: 35:45
  • Pace: 7:48
  • Elevation and route:


Today's run focus was not turning my knees in (the whole 90* thing), and as much as I noticed that of course it feels more natural, it definitely feels weird. Unfortunately I'll probably be getting blisters on my feet until I get used to doing this right. It could be my shoes, though (Zoot; meant to be worn with no socks).

Then I took a break to go to Moe's for supper and some studying. After that break, I hit the hotel's workout room for 10 10 10 EDI:
  • Lunge: Really focused on stepping straight; definitely worse when stepping with my left leg (I forgot which leg I was on during the second set and almost did it wrong; oops!). I waited until I was in the deepest position possible to start the timer (10 seconds, 10 up-and-downs, 10 seconds, 10 up-and-downs, 10 seconds, 10 up-and-downs; repeat two times).
  • Glute ham: Still at the hotel, so I had to do standing extreme ham. I wasn't sure about the up-and-downs on this one, so I did 1 minute x2 on this one.
  • Wall squat: 2 sets. Keep shins perpendicular to the ground the entire time, and use the entire foot.
  • Push up on knees: For the first set, I was able to push all the way up for the first 15 and halfway up for the last 15 (way huge improvement from Tuesday). For the second set, I was able to push all the way up for the first 5, halfway up for the next 5, and negligibly for the last 20. But I made as much of an effort as I could; I really wanted to push all the way up!
  • Scap pull up: Lat pull down instead, pulling down as far as I could for each up-and-down.
  • Curl: 5-lb dumbbells (Will's note says light bar). If he can do these with a towel and get a workout, I can do it with 5 lbs and get a workout. And I worked hard! I even kept my legs engaged the entire time!
The first thing I noticed what that this was in the same order and was the same exercises as I had done on Tuesday. I thought maybe I'd done it wrong then, but then I saw that all three of the days this week are the same exercises (with slight variations) in the same order. I wonder why.

Tomorrow I'm testing (aiming to pass, which means I'll probably be up early to study; I can't sleep anyway, so no big deal there) and then heading to the beach! Hopefully it won't be cold and I can enjoy some sun.

No comments: