Tuesday, January 27, 2009

6-9 Challenge

Today's workout, the 6-9 Challenge, came from my favorite fitness podcast. I chose it mainly because there was no running outside due to the rain and cold and there's no getting a treadmill at MFY much after 4:30. But first I went to Hip Hop class at the Y. It went slightly better than the Zumba class because the teacher actually went through each different move set before we started it, but by the time we got to the end of the song, I'd forgotten the first parts of the choreography. In keeping with my reputation, I got the hardest move down no problem (swipe, swipe and turn, pull down, clap, swipe, step up, step back, turn); it was all the supposedly easy ones that I just couldn't get.

Here's the 6-9 Challenge for all those interested:
  • 6-Rep Rounds
  1. 1-minute skipping
  2. 6 burpies (basically squat thrusts; check out this video)
  3. 1-minute skipping
  4. 6 plyometric lunges each leg (I did 1 lunge with 6 Russian lunges for each side)
  5. 1-minute skipping
  6. 6 tuck jumps
  7. 1-minute skipping
  8. Six 15-meter sprints
  • 9-Rep Rounds
  1. 1-minute push ups (I skipped here because I forgot I was on this round)
  2. 9 burpies
  3. 1-minute push ups (I did 25 total; 10 on feet and 15 on knees but all with the proper form)
  4. 9 plyometric lunges (here I did dynamic lunges; basically I just walked forward while doing them. I had to do extra ones because either I didn't step straight or I didn't step up high enough)
  5. 1-minute push ups (I did 30 total; 5 on feet and 25 on knees)
  6. 9 tuck jumps
  7. 1-minute push ups (I did 30 total, all on knees)
  8. Nine 15-meter sprints (I timed the final 3: 3.01, 3.00, and 2.95; I figure the distance was about the same distance as between bases in fast pitch softball. I had to estimate and walked about 20 paces)
I did one round of each and it took about 20-25 minutes. I guess you could do as many as you're up for. It amused me when a couple of the girls who were running on the track (as part of a sports conditioning class or something) said, "I don't know how anyone can make themselves do drills on their own." If only they knew what all I do on my own.... Then I did crate crunches and planks. I also did crunches this morning (50) and push ups this morning (20) and throughout the day at work (20), so including the push ups this afternoon (85) I did 125 total! I should start aiming for 2,000 in a month again; that was a fun challenge!

No comments: