Thursday, January 1, 2009

3-mi run; 7 min ISOs

I wasn't feeling particularly slow, but I wasn't feeling particularly fast, either, so I kind of ran somewhere in the middle. And even though I was off all day today, I still didn't get started until almost 3pm, which meant I was on the treadmill because it had already cooled off a lot and I didn't feel like freezing while running. So it was 3 miles (no time requirements) on the treadmill:
  • Mile 1 (+ warm up): 9:15
  • Mile 2: 8:17
  • Mile 3: 7:54
I'm trying to make myself run faster the last half than the first half, so I really tried to pick up the pace as I continued.

7 minutes of work; no rest:
  • Lunge R: held for 2:02 but still worked really hard the rest of the time.
  • Lunge L: held for 1:53 (I really wanted to make it to 2:02 again) but still worked really hard the rest of the time.
  • 1-leg squat: I did 1 min + 1 min with my right leg in front and then switched to left leg where I did 2:30. On neither of them did I feel like I was working. On the first, I didn't feel anything except pulling in my back knee, along the outside. I don't know why. My back foot was set up on a bench approximately just below knee-height, and when I sat back I was almost touching the bench. My front shin was perpendicular to the ground (I had a mirror at my side so I could check). I was supposed to be pulling down through the front hamstring and constantly pulling down into the deepest position through the balls of my feet (with my entire foot still contacting the ground), but I didn't feel anything in my hamstring. For either leg. I guess I'll have to have Will look at this to see if he can diagnose what I'm doing wrong or help me figure out why I don't feel like I'm working at all.
  • Glute ham: By the end of the 7 minutes, I don't think I could have lifted up the bench, but I worked hard the entire time--no rest, just like the instructions say!
  • Standing ham: Same thing, only I really, really tried to straighten my legs the entire time.
  • Wall squat: 4 minutes even before I hit the ground, but most of that last minute I was fighting to stay up. Over the last 3 minutes, I was up and down I think 3 times, but again I was working hard the entire time. It really helps to talk to yourself!
  • Preacher curl: 5-lb dumbbells on a bench that actually made my forearms parallel to the ground. It wasn't the easiest, though; I couldn't get my legs directly under me because of the way the bench was set up. Oh, well. I held them for 5:30 and could have gone the entire time had there been someone there to take them from me at 7 minutes (I absolutely would not have been able to lift my arms, and I did not want to drop them on my feet). So I did the last 1:30 with no weight.
  • Scap pull up: I didn't do this one, because I can't take up a machine on the floor for 7 minutes and there's no pull up bar or other comparable equipment in the WOC.
The ISOs took me 1:20 to complete, and that was without having done 3 of the exercises. Some day when I have 2 hours to dedicate just to this, I'll do the entire thing.

Although today was a day off, I really did not get much of anything done. Made some breakfast, did some laundry, cleaned my kitchen, napped, went to lunch with Hollyn and Jesi, ran errands, worked out, tried to watch "I Am Legend" (my computer wouldn't play the entire thing), watched "Pirates II" instead, and that's it. I was hoping to have studied my Cisco stuff for the class I'll be in next week, but hopefully I'll have some time on Saturday between working out and the hockey game (I'm sure I won't have any on the drive). Maybe I'll take one book along just in case.

No comments: