Saturday, January 24, 2009

Eternity

If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this. (C.S. Lewis; from Chan, Francis; Crazy Love; p. 75)

Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern. For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things. For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. (Philippians 3:17–21; NKJV)

Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. (Colossians 3:2; NKJV)
I often feel, as a fellow blogger has said, like an alien on temporary assignment (unfortunately, this feeling does not occur as often as I would like). This world is not my home (1 Peter 2:11–12). And yet it is so easy to conform to the culture, to want to fit in, to want to enjoy some of the pleasures here, to forget about heaven and to focus on earth. But I don't want to live as an enemy of the cross of Christ. In fact, I can't, because I have accepted God's gift of Christ's sacrifice on that cross as a payment for my sins. How could I ever turn my back on such a gift; on that immense, incomprehensible love; on Jesus Himself?

Lord, please keep any such desire from me. Keep filling me with Your Spirit through Your Word. Keep me from being filled with anything else, anything that this world has to offer.

Help me to remember why I am who I am and do what I do: Jesus came to earth to fulfill what was written about Him by dying on the cross. With the ultimate sacrifice, He paid the price for the sins of all who accept Him and forgives those who ask. This gives me access to God and His throne and requires me to honor Him through obedience.

When I accepted His gift, my body became the temple of the Holy Spirit, who now fills me and communicates with the Father. Since the Spirit is in me and I'm being constantly and consistently filled by the Spirit through the Word of God, I cannot be filled with earthly spirits.

I want to be obedient to God's commands even through I know I'm not under the law but under grace. This obedience requires me to live differently than the world lives, and one way this difference manifests itself is by my not drinking. Although drinking wine/beer/alcohol is not explicitly prohibited in the Scriptures, drunkenness is, and any soft of drinking can ultimately lead to drunkenness, which nearly always leads to other sins (immorality, foolish talk, poor choices, lack of obedience, potentially causing harm to others and skewing or ruining my testimony as Christ's ambassador, and more). Therefore, I'd rather not put myself into any circumstance that would cause that behavior.

Does that mean that I can't go to bars to hang out (to play pool with people at work, to listen to lesser-known musicians' concerts, or for other reasons)? Not necessarily. But does it mean that I must go, or even that I may not go at all? Neither. So where does that leave me? Pretty much back in square 1.

Drinking alcohol can lead to drunkenness (a major loss of control of physical and mental capacities), which can lead to other sins. "But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death" (James 1:14–15). I can't say that God has tempted me, "for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone" (James 1:13). So if I know what leads to sin, why would I knowingly and willingly let myself enter an environment that would cause me to sin?

Sin's ultimate consequence is separation from God, my Father and Creator. That is the torment people in hell face. He is "not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9); thus He forgives us when we ask with repentant hearts. But neither is He unjust (Genesis 18:25; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 7:11; Isaiah 30:18; Daniel 4:37); thus He allows the unrepentant to live their life of pleasure and die their death of torment (Matthew 25:31–46). In light of this, that any alcohol can lead to the sin of drunkenness, which can lead to other sins:

What else is in my life that is leading or could lead to sin?
  • Computer; Food; Training; Work; Pleasure (blogging, hockey games, training, shopping, radio, sports games, reading, etc.); Babysitting; Reading; Writing; Friends; Church; Buying things/spending money
I guess what I need to ask are the following questions:
  • Does it take time away from spending time with God?
  • Does it draw me away from Him when I am close?
  • Does it affect what should be an attitude of love for others?
  • Does it grieve or quench the Spirit?
  • Does it please God and advance His kingdom?
  • How does what I'm doing affect how I live on earth with a heavenly perspective?
Where is the line between living on earth and wanting to be in heaven, worshiping God, loving Him, not suffering, with perfect bodies, etc.?
For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you. And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith, that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again. Philippians 1:19–26

Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern. For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things. For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved. Philippians 3:17–4:1
Even through all Paul's suffering and his desire to be with Christ, he willingly remained on earth to help the Philippians to teach them the Word and to grow God's kingdom.

No comments: