Wednesday, January 28, 2009

3-mi run; 10 6 3 EDI

Today was the first day back running in a few days (11 to be exact), so I didn't do the entire thing. I want my blisters to continue to heal right so I don't have to deal with them later during the season. I started on the track at MFY; 14 laps are one mile, and doing 5+ miles in the same direction was not what I wanted to do all afternoon, so I ended up on the treadmill.
  • 10-20 minute warmup: In half-mile increments, it was 3:50, 3:44, and 4:00
  • 5x1000 @ 4:16: I had no idea what pace I was supposed to be at. I did the first at 7.5: 4:54. I did the second at 7.7: 4:49. Obviously that wasn't even close to fast enough.
  • 10-minute cooldown: I just cooled down.
Then I did 10 6 3 EDI, 2 sets, no manual holds.
  • Lunge with violent stops: I've really been trying to keep good form and pull into the deepest position possible.
  • Glute ham: I did both sets, every rep, all the way up. Hooray! Now that I know I can go all the way up, I don't think I could do reps only to arm's length.
  • Wall squat: Here's where I remembered I was supposed to be doing this with a manual hold. It's hard to simulate that, but it was pretty much normal. Here some guy asked me if I was training for a sport. Of course. (I was nicer than that, though.)
  • Curl--light bar: I used the 15-lb bar, did 3 sets, and tried to imagine someone holding the bar down. It makes me work harder. Here some girl (Amanda) asked me what I do for abs, so I showed her crate crunches and planks. I decided I really don't do much else for abs, but the crate crunches are good!
  • Push up: I did the first 10 seconds of both sets on my feet, but I could not push up all the way. So I went to my knees and did all 19 + 19 reps all the way up. Hooray! I still use my shoulders and arms more than my lats, but I'm trying to work on it.
  • Crate crunch: I finally figured this one out on Monday, and it's a good one if you make your legs work the whole time. Plus crunching up while squeezing a crate is hard.
Then I just did a few stretches. Soon I'm going to start adding mileage, but I'm going to try to let my foot heal all the way first. Next week I'll start swimming, and I'll probably be getting back on my bike then too. Trainer, here I come!

No comments: