Tuesday, January 13, 2009

3x30 sec heavy; Rowing

I'm pretty sure I never go as heavy as I can; I'm convinced because I could do more reps after the 3rd one when I should pretty much be maxed out (it's supposed to be as heavy as possible, after all). At least I try to make it heavy.
  • Lunge: heavy bar with a 25-lb plate on each side. I could actually stand up with the bar for 3 of the 6 (all right leg). For the other ones, I just dropped the bar with the weight on the safety bars that I put up because I know I'll drop them. For this one, I might be able to add weight but probably wouldn't be able to stand up, but I like knowing that someone behind me would catch the bar (or me) if necessary. 12-19: 25 lb plates for the first, but then none for the rest. 12-02: 25-lb plates but I couldn't stand up for any of them. So I guess I'm making progress (I didn't have a chance to look at my previous logs before I started this workout). Ooh, I actually got my heart rate up on this one and was happy to stand on the wall for 2 minutes after I was done. I could have been done here and felt like I had gotten a good workout (even though I probably could have added more weight).
  • Glute ham: no weight. I could actually lift myself up off the ground, for all 3 sets! That's really encouraging, and I was really trying to squeeze and pull with my glutes and not my lower back.
  • Standing extreme hamstring: 45-lb weight. That's as heavy as the plates go, and I'm not sure I could comfortably carry a 50-lb dumbbell (I'm sure I could hold it for this exercise, though). In any case, I pulled to lengthen my hamstrings as much as I possibly could--pretty soon my head will be able to touch the ground!
  • Wall squat: 30-lb dumbbells. 11-18: 25-lb dumbbells. Next time I'll have to try more weight. I just don't think holding the weight in my hands is affecting how my legs are holding me up on the wall. Wall squats are typically my easiest, even though I really try to work hard.
  • Push up on feet: 35-lb plate. 12-2: same weight. I easily stayed on my feet the entire time, but I could not push up with the weight still on my back.
  • Preacher curl (seated): 22-lb bar. I can definitely hold more weight, but I can't move it when I'm holding it and don't want to drop it on my legs. This is one where a partner would be fabulous. So after the 3x30, I did another 1-min hold interval, just because I could.
  • Crate crunch: 45-lb plate. Holding that much weight after the previous arm exercises was definitely a challenge. 12-3: same weight. 11-18: 35-lb plate.
I warmed up (definitely needed it--it was about 35* today and it's time for me to move farther south) on the rowing machine for 15 minutes: 3,092 meters, 172 calories.

No comments: