Thursday, January 15, 2009

10x30 sec manual holds

Thanks to Lisa for helping me out on this one! Plus it was great to be able to see her again, since I haven't ridden with her in forever and probably haven't seen her since early December. But since she was at the gym and didn't have too much to do besides watch her kids in swim lessons, I roped her into helping me and doing some of the stuff with me. Hooray!
  • Lunge with Russian Lunge: On the right leg, I think she held me at least 7 intervals. My Russian lunge still leaves a lot to be desired--I'm really only jumping, not lifting my legs. The 8th one was by far the hardest on this leg; I could not get off the ground. I made her pause the timer until I did it (which I did). On the left leg, I think she held me for 4 intervals. The jumping was harder still, but I manged to get off the ground on every one and landed maybe all but 3 total (I repeated 1 because I wasn't happy). I'm hoping this will help my sprinting.
  • Push up (no hold): I could push all the way up for the first 5; for the last 3, I barely moved and my hands kept slipping off the dumbbells so I had to reset myself.
  • Glute ham (no hold): Reps to arm's length. My focus on this one was to keep myself engaged the entire time; Will said that last time, I was letting off just slightly at the top and the bottom, and I didn't want to do that. I'm having to use my arms less and less and am encouraged by that.
  • Curl: 20-lb bar. Even though we were talking the entire time, I managed to keep track of the 10 intervals and curled up all the way on every one. That felt good with the 20-lb bar!
Then I sat in the hot tub forever. I was freezing that entire time--my toes were white even though we were inside at the Y. I'm going to have to break out the Toastie Toes tonight.

I joined Inversion for a little supper and the Preds game at Cabana in Nashville. The food was OK. I didn't know anyone but Jonathan, Ray, and Jen, so I met 4 people (Sarah, Nick, Rosh, and Leanna), talked with Sarah a lot, and watched the Predators. I've mostly been watching minor league players (the AAHA, and the IceMen specifically) and only listening to the Preds on the radio. I was surprised (but probably shouldn't have been) at the huge difference in speed and hustle of the pros versus the minors. The quality of play and of players at the different leagues is drastic--not something you want to find out the hard way!

No comments: