Saturday, January 24, 2009

10x10 seconds; hockey

Today I made friends with a girl who will hopefully be my new running partner. Anna and I are going to try to get together twice a week; once for a track workout (her strength) and once for a long run (my strength). Should be fun, and I'm excited!

I had to workout before Will's game and still try to get everything done that I needed to (I did not succeed, especially since Nancy called and wanted to leave early), but I got most of the workout done. Usually I have the choice between 2 or 3 sets (I have always chosen 2), but today I had no choice: 10x10 second manual holds, 3 sets.
  • Lunge: for the last 3 on the second 2 sets on my left leg, I had to put my knee down. For the last 2 on the last set on my right leg, I had to put my knee down. But I was really focused on not leaning forward or to one side, and I think I succeeded there.
  • Glute ham: 10 seconds on, 1 second break, repeat. I'm really strong on the first few (I can lift the bench and bar, so I have to put weight on it), but I am never as strong over the last 3-5.
  • Wall squat: I was really trying to go fast up and fast down on this one while still keeping my shins perpendicular to the ground. I'm sure I don't go as fast as I can, and I don't know why or how to improve that.
  • Push up (on feet): I did the first 10 on my feet but couldn't push up all the way on any of them. For the next 2 sets, I started on my feet but dropped to my knees when I couldn't make any upward motion (#3 on the second, #2 on the third). When I was on my knees, I could usually do at least 3 all the way or most of the way up. Push ups should really not be that hard. Why are they???
  • Curl: 30-lb bar for the first 10, then 20-lb bar for the next 20. I could do more weight, but because I always pretend someone is holding the bar and I'm pulling up with my lats, 20 lbs is plenty.
  • Crate crunch: I did the first set, then I did two 1-minute side planks and was done. I had to get going!
Nancy, Zach, and I then went up to Indiana for Will's game. The Evansville IceMen played the Chicago Blaze and won 11-3. Will had 4 assists during the game and played really well; it was probably the best I'd seen him skate. Plus he looked like he was having fun the whole time and after the game. Probably because his brother was there to see him.

Zach and Will; Will looks really tall with his skates on!

He spent a few minutes in the penalty box, but it didn't hurt his team and they were able to kill off both his penalties. Then we got to greet him at the end because he had to come out and sign autographs. Finally I got a good (not blurry) picture!

Will and me after his game; yes, it's inside and it does get cold in the arena, hence the hat and gloves!

We actually got home at a respectable time, too, and the car ride back was safe and uneventful. Thank you, Lord, for safe travels and safety on the ice!

No comments: