Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Running

This morning I got in a quick run before work (3mi). Will and I miscommunicated yesterday's workouts--he thought I was doing one thing, while I did another that he thought I was going to do today. Definitely my fault for not communicating that. So since I woke up to no workout, I decided a jog was in order. It was really a jog, with Mile 1 at 9:08, Mile 2 at 8:18, and Mile 3 and 7:24. My kind of tempo run. Granted I should have done them all at least at the 7:24 pace, but I wasn't looking at my watch, wasn't aiming for a pace or a time, was just aiming for the next street light, and then the next and the next and the next.

The lunchtime workout was no tougher than yesterday's PM workout, but I definitely had to focus. Fortunately DHY has an unused (at lunchtime, that is) spin room that is perfect for what I need: quiet and no distractions.
  • Lunge, 15 sec on, 10 sec off, 10 times, then switch legs
  • Altitude drop legs, 10 sets of 5, 30 seconds rest between sets
  • GHR, quick-style reps to arm's length, 10 sets of 4
  • Push up, 5 minutes, standing, ultra-wide (I used a couple stationary bikes instead of a door frame since I didn't want to be in anyone's way for 5+ minutes)
  • Altitude drop bench press, 45 lb, 10 sets of 4
  • Curl, quick-style reps with a 1-second continued contraction at the top and bottom, 10 sets of 4
The afternoon workout was slightly different but still challenging and fun.
  • 5 sets of the following:
    • Bench press, 65 lb (Will said 75–85 lb, but it was much easier to do the same weight for both exercises and not have to take up multiple stations), 10-sec hold, 1 rep, repeat for 3 total reps
    • Bent-over barbell row, 65 lb, 6 reps
  • GHR, 6-6-6 EDI, 3 sets, reps to arm's length
  • Phasic leg curl, 300 each leg
  • Lunge, 5 on, 5 off thru 25, each leg, then repeat
Then it was off to watch Team B and the crit and do my second run (and 4th workout, tho Will is really just splitting my one workout into 2 manageable pieces) of the day. Kathy and I did around 1.65 miles in about 15 minutes. She had just raced the crit and we were running her pace; it made me remember my runs like that last year and made me want to do that again next year.

No comments: