Friday, February 5, 2010

Getting it Right

This morning's workout was very similar to Wednesday morning's (or at least, similar to what I was supposed to have done that I totally misread):
  • Altitude drop legs: 10×6, 5 breaths rest
  • Wall squat: 3×1min, 20 sec rest
  • Altitude drop glute ham: 10×6, 5 breaths rest
  • Standing ham: 3×1min, 20 sec rest
  • Push up on knees: 45-lb bar, 10 deep breaths, 1 rep, 6 breaths, 2 reps, 3 breaths, 3 reps, repeat all
  • Dead lift: 20-lb dumbbells, 10 deep breaths, 1 rep, 6 breaths, 2 reps, 3 breaths, 3 reps, repeat all
  • Curl: 10-lb dumbbells, 10 deep breaths, 1 rep, 6 breaths, 2 reps, 3 breaths, 3 reps, repeat all
I was on my own for the evening workout and was actually happy about that since I wasn't sure when I was going to make the supper I had prepared all afternoon. Some of my favorite pro Ironman triathletes posted recipes recently that I wanted to try. Bree's most recent one is still on my list, but I did make her Coco Caribbean Cookies.


The main dish, however, came from Linsey Corbin: Stuffed Peppers.

Almost done
She's already typed out the recipe, and I pretty much followed it exactly with the exception of a shorter cook time. I must agree: It rocked! However, it took at least 2 hours total, including preparation, which is a lot longer than I usually spend on food all day. Today I had a little extra time (enough even for a 2-hour nap!), so I didn't mind.

The peppers were in the oven while I did lots of phasic exercises that will hopefully help me be fast tomorrow (since they basically make you turn your muscles on and off as quickly as possible). It was the same methodics for all exercises: 10 reps, 3-count rest, 15 reps, 3 rest, 20 reps, 5 rest, 25 reps, 5 rest, 30 reps, 10 rest, 35 rest, 10 rest, 40 reps.
  • Standing front delt
  • Bent over lateral delt
  • Leg curl
  • Leg extension
  • Bent over front delt
  • Biceps curl
  • Hip flexion
  • Hip extension
Will said 1-leg dead lift was also on the plan but that I could skip it. Skipped. We also scratched a few so that it wouldn't take too long. Had I not had food in the oven I would have done them, but I indeed skipped them and the ones I did took around 40 minutes.

Then I got to enjoy the fruit of my kitchen labor.

Stuffed peppers with pita chips and hummus...tasty!
And speaking of fruit I'm reminded of one of my favorite and one of the most challenging chapters in the Bible: Proverbs 31. It's all about a woman of virtue, a woman of valor, "in the sense of all forms of excellence."
She is like the merchant ships, she brings her food from afar. She also rises while it is yet night, and provides food for her household. ... She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. ... Strength and honor are her clothing; she shall rejoice in time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness. ... Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. Give her the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates.
What an amazing woman, one who I am striving to be!

No comments: