Saturday, February 27, 2010

Corn Chips

Yesterday I attempted to make empanadas and failed. I couldn’t get the tortilla base thin enough and thus couldn’t cook them. So I gave up and put the remainder of the dough in the fridge for today. Then I made corn chips.

I baked some and fried some, and some of the fried ones were in oil and some weren’t. The ones in the oil were the crispiest, the ones not in the oil were next best, and the baked ones were pretty soft. I might not have baked them long enough. They all tasted good, though, and I was happy with the way they turned out and my improvisation. I am, however, currently trying to dry them out to see they get a little crispier.

That was just the start of my day, and I felt like I got a lot accomplished. I did a little reading, and then I headed out to run. I had really been hoping to go outside today, even planned to ride with Team Belladium later, but just could not psych myself up enough to brave the sub 40° temps in the early morning and the 45° temps in the early afternoon. So, off to the treadmill I went. The treadmill I ended up on was set in kilometers. I did a little quick math in my head but not much—I wanted to get started and I wanted to think only about running while I was running. So I timed the Ks but wasn’t thinking much about speed or distance.

Again for this run my goal was to get faster on each split (which today was Ks). I actually liked timing Ks because they go by a lot faster than miles! I started the timer a little later, so it doesn’t quite add up to 30 minutes:
  • Totals: 30 minutes, 5.6-or-so K (obviously I was oblivious to my speed since I can run a 22-min 5K and my slowest K today was 6 something), 157 HR avg (179 max) (this also shows that I was running slower than I should have been—earlier this week my HR avg was closer to 170)
  • 1K: 5:56, 140 HR
  • 2K: 5:33, 159 HR
  • 3K: 5:20, 160 HR
  • 4K: 5:04, 165 HR
  • 5K: 4:51, 156 HR
  • 5+K: 2:35, 174 HR
Not the best, not the worst, but since I’m working on running the last part faster than the first part, I was successful and felt good.

Since I was already at the Cabana (which hasn’t been vacuumed since I did it back when Will was still here and now has the benches back—still broken and with bad upholstery), I did my isos: 10×30 seconds manual holds (minus the manual holds—I certainly don’t need them to work hard!
  • Lunge
  • Glute ham with reps to the top
  • Wall squat
  • Push up on knees
  • Altitude drop curl, 10-lb dumbbells (hard with that much weight!)
  • Crate crunch
  • I felt like I worked harder on these than I have before. I don’t know why, but I know it felt good to be working so hard after a good little run!
During church, we studied Genesis 3: God’s cursing of Satan and the ground and His telling Eve the consequences of her sin. Then I went to the BFY for a quick 1:20 ride (not quite the 1:30 I needed, but church ended late and the Y closes fairly early for a Saturday night) on a 20-mile course I’d done before. It is pretty much all uphill for the first 12 miles and then has 6 “jagged peaks” after the descent off the mountain. As much as I wanted to finish it before I got kicked out, I did not succeed. I will be back to conquer it and to beat my previous time (which is 1:24). Fortunately I don’t have to ride tomorrow, because I will be up early to swim at MFY and then hopefully run outside if it’s fairly decent. I’m aiming for an outside run because I don’t think I can stand 50 minutes on the treadmill, but we’ll see how it goes.

No comments: