Sunday, December 27, 2009

Outside Ride

It was cold outside today, and I think I've finally thawed out enough to type (thanks to a nice hot shower, heat, and hot supper). It got colder as we rode, and the wind didn't let up much. However, it was nice to have a great tailwind in spots!
  • Total time: 2:04
  • Mileage: 35.47
  • Average speed: 17.1 (max 32.4)
  • Average HR: 162 (max 194)
I got dropped around mile 30. That was a bummer for me, because I'd held on so well during all the other hills. But once I got off the back on Wilson Pike, I couldn't get back up to the group. Then I got into my own head and really couldn't do it. Definitely gotta work on the mental game still. And yes, the last time I was on the bike with the Garmin was 11-29. Good thing I didn't know that or I'd probably have had even more mind games going on.

The only other workout I had today was 100 deep breaths. Running fast tomorrow!

I made some pizza tonight with crust from the cookbook Robin made for us all. It was tasty. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the completed pizza, but I do of the crust!

Yum!

Will joined me a little later to bring me Bentonite for my stomach and to listen to me talk about how I feel like I've lost some of my confidence. That was really all I was thinking about during the last 5 miles of the ride, but it's something that I think I've been suppressing for the last couple weeks (probably since we started the different breathing things). Because I'm only riding and running once per week (significantly less than the 4-5 times, each, that I would normally be doing in preparation for races), I really have no idea how physically I'll perform. I don't know how fast I'll run or how long I'll be able to go. I don't know whether I'll ride well or be able to stay with the group. It doesn't really make sense; I know that physically I can do it, but when I get to that place, my mind says maybe you can't really do it. How do you know you can since you haven't been practicing this? Are you crazy?

Will's advice was to just tell myself that I'll be fast and then I will be. But I just don't know. Sure, maybe if I tell myself that, I really will be; and sure, if I tell myself I'll be slow, I probably will be. But at that point I'm not saying either yea or nay—I'm just saying I don't know. The thing is that this always sounds like it makes sense in my head. Then when I actually say it, it either doesn't come out right or Will uses some other logic that makes it sound foolish.

Someday I'll figure out what I'm actually thinking and be able to communicate it well. It might be a long time down the road, though.

No comments: