Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 Goals

I don't usually make resolutions; I make goals. This year was no different. Here are the highlights, with the unabridged explanations below:
  1. Accomplish a 5-minute lunge with both legs (hold a lunge position, working the entire time, for 5 minutes without putting my knee down).
  2. Decrease my time and increase my power in a CompuTrainer test (5-mile time trial on the bike).
  3. Better my time from the Knoxville Rev3 Olympic-distance triathlon.
  4. With my Team Belladium bike teammates, make a difference in every race.
  5. Glorify God in everything: races, training, life, cheering, etc.; have fun!

2011 Race Preview

The first race of the cycling season will probably be around the last weekend in March. I am for sure (Lord willing, that is—it’s a long time from now!) racing a tri the second weekend in May. That's in 5 months and seems like forever away, but I want to get stronger and faster over that time, so I'm thinking about it now. And I’m considering adding a half Ironman in the middle of August.

The season (March through August) will be something like this: 1–2 tris, 16+ weekends of racing (25-40–mile road race on Sat AM, 2-9–mile time trial on Sat PM, 30-40–min criterium on Sun late AM), one 20-min crit per week for 10 weeks, and one 40K time trial midway through the summer. That's all for now, at least that I can think of; it sounds crazy (so far this year I've done ~20 total races). So 20+ races in 2010 vs. 40+/- in 2011. If ever I could learn to recover, this would be the time to do so.

Here's some info about the individual race types:
  • Road Race: Ride this with a group of women up to maybe 40 at the most, down to maybe 15 at the least. Everyone starts together and goes for the predetermined number of miles (you know how long the race is long before you register, but it varies from race to race). Usually a couple laps of the same loop. First one to the line wins. Sometimes you all stay together, sometimes someone attacks and gets off the front, sometimes you have to react to every attack, sometimes you attack, sometimes you just sit back and watch everyone else work, sometimes you sit on the front and pull everyone, sometime you chase down the leaders, sometimes you're the one being chased. You always hope you win unless Todd says, "This is the game plan, so do it!" Usually around a couple hours, depending on the distance.
  • Time Trial: You're on your own. Sit on your bike clipped in while someone holds you upright. (Remember when you were learning and your dad stood behind you before you started to pedal? That's what this start is.) As soon as they let go, you'd better pedal or you're falling. Ride hard, and try to catch the girl who started a minute ahead of you and try not to get caught by the girl who started a minute behind you. Go all out the entire time. Aim to win every one. Who cares what Todd says. :-) Distance always varies, but usually under or up to 10 miles; the longest one is 40K (26-ish miles; 1:15 or less time).
  • Criterium (Crit) Race: The field for this race is usually around 20-40 women; the weekly crits will be about 15. Line up and go hard and fast the entire time. Ride a 1-kilometer loop for the allotted amount of time. Take every corner fast, take the straightaways even faster. Don't take any time to drink because you'll get dropped. Attack and react to every attack. Stay near the front as much as possible, then be the first to the line and win! Surge every once in a while in the middle of the race for various "primes" that are prizes meant to entice the group into riding faster or catching whoever is ahead of them. Win or help Lisa win every race unless Todd says, "This is the game plan, so do it!" Usually around 30 minutes, weekly ones are 20 minutes, some might be up to 40 minutes, sometimes you might do multiple in a day (I would do this if one were a Cat 3/4 race and one were a Cat 1/2/3 race and I thought I could win the 3/4 and help Lisa win the 1/2/3).

2011 Preseason

I still have the 4-wk schedule Will gave me back in February 2010. I plan to ride hard in class Tuesdays and Thursdays, ride OK-hard and slightly longer on Fridays and then again with Team B Sundays (hopefully getting faster/stronger each week). Maybe I'll run twice a week. And I'll try to swim once a week. Since everyone thinks I look like a swimmer, I gotta stay in the pool at least a little; plus, it will be good cross training (or so they say).

One of my weaknesses is that I'm not the best climber. Getting a lighter bike will help, but Todd also says that getting stronger (and lighter; are those two possible?) will help as well. So I want to get stronger. But I know that I can't do so much that I'm totally exhausted, even if that's the only way I'll get to the top (as in, pro); I hate being tired all the time and not being able to train well and right.


2011 Goals (12-07-10)

Life Goals (10-24-09)
1–4 Top secret unless you ask ;-)

Life Performance Goals
  1. * Become a pro triathlete by age 30 (well, find out how to first).
  2. * Qualify for the Olympic trials in triathlon (well, find out how to first).
  3. * If I complete number 2, try out for the 2016 Olympics.
  4. Qualify for the Kona Ironman.
  5. Do an Ultraman triathlon.
  6. Do a race (a race of any sort, like running, triathlon, cycling, etc.) in every state.
* Currently on hold while I race with Team Belladium

Season Performance Goals
  1. ** Accomplish a 5-minute lunge with both legs.
  2. Decrease my time and increase my power in TTT.
  3. With my Team Belladium teammates, make a difference in every race.
  4. Better my time from the Knoxville Rev3 Olympic Triathlon.
  5. Glorify God in everything: races, training, life, cheering, etc.
  6. Make 110 RPM easier to do for longer periods of time; or, feel better about doing so even if it doesn’t really feel easier.
  7. *** Win the NashvilleCyclist.com Crit Series.
  8. *** Win the state crit jersey.
  9. Lose weight if possible.
** Prompted by Iron Will :-)
*** Dependent on Todd and his plan for Team Belladium

     Season Performance Goals
               Stepping-Stone Goals
  1. ** Accomplish a 5-minute lunge with both legs.
    1. Prompted by Iron Will :-)
    2. Trust Will when he says I can do it.
    3. This must be unaided and unassisted by water.
    4. The timeframe for this is the end of March, 90 days from January 3.
    5. Start where I’m at and just keep improving.
    6. Do this at least once per day, alternating which leg I start with.
    7. Start at different times on my timer so I can pretend I’ll know what it feels like when I get to 3+ minutes.
    8. Remember the following:
      1. It will help me turn my legs over quicker in cycling and running.
      2. It teaches my muscles to work in their “extension” or “lengthened position,” allowing them to absorb a lot of force and work without fatiguing.
      3. Longer muscles do not get as tired nor injured.
      4. Long muscles are healthy, efficient, and strong.
      5. Get better every day.
  2. Decrease my time and increase my power in TTT (Todd’s Torture Test).
    1. This is a 5-mile time trial on the CompuTrainer.
    2. Currently I’m at 13:56 and 223 watts (tested March 25, 2010), which is an improvement from 14:22 and 208 watts (tested January 28, 2010).
    3. We will test the first week in January, 2011, and again a few months later.
    4. Sit next to Parri and match her on the screen; she finished in 13:14 in March, but this is not the best time if I remember correctly—Cali might have bettered it.
    5. Secondarily, watch Anna, since she beat me in the 2-mile TT in November.
    6. Go out hard and maintain that speed and power.
    7. Remember that it’s only 5 miles, less than 14 minutes, and even though it’s going to hurt for a few minutes, it will pay huge dividends and you will feel great at the end.
  3. With my Team Belladium teammates, make a difference in every race.
    1. Listen to what Todd says to do, and do it.
    2. Don’t worry about what anyone else is doing—race your race.
    3. Have a plan going into each race; usually that will be Todd’s plan, but if for some reason he gives us freedom, make your own plan and stick to it.
  4. Better my time from the Knoxville Rev3 Olympic Triathlon.
    1. Sunday, May 15, 2011
      1. 2:41:06 total last year; 8/16 AG, 42/111 females, 169/365 OA
      2.  AG winner finished in 2:18:28.
      3. First female finished in 2:03:48.
    2. This is likely the only tri I’ll compete in this season, unless I add a half Ironman toward the end of the season. So I have to make it the best one!
    3. Decrease my swim time.
      1. My swim was 23:47 swim (1:39/100) last year, 2:10 T1.
      2. It’s a point-to-point swim with the current, so use the current.
      3. Find a pack and stick with it.
      4. Go hard for 22 or so minutes because it’s the only time you’ll need to use your arms and you’ll be good and warm for the ride!
    4. Decrease my bike time.
      1. My bike time was 1:21:59 (18.55 avg) last year, 2:10 T2.
      2. I was pretty chilly during the ride, so definitely pack and dress better.
      3. I wasn’t riding to race—I was riding to ride and even helped someone with his flat tire.
      4. Focus on racing and doing my best.
    5. Decrease my run time.
      1. My run time was 50:52 (8:12 pace) last year.
      2. My feet were freezing for the first mile or two, but those two were better than the rest because I wasn’t thinking about running (I was thinking about getting warm).
      3. Remember that I can run faster than 8:30 miles!
      4. Practice, at least a few times before the race, running off the bike at race pace.
  5. Glorify God in everything: races, training, life, cheering, etc.
  6. *** Win the NashvilleCyclist.com Crit Series.
    1. *** This is dependent on Lisa S and her goals and on Todd N and what he wants our team to accomplish.
    2. Line up in the right spot at every race, and clip in right away.
    3. Tag and be ready to react to anything Sandra does.
    4. Out-sprint Olga if necessary by getting an earlier jump than she normally would.
    5. Rely on my teammates to do their job.
    6. Do my job, whatever Todd assigns.
    7. Practice sprinting and reacting to other’s actions.
    8. Note what everyone else is doing—learn their tells and use them to their disadvantage.
  7. Make 110 RPM easier to do for longer periods of time; or, feel better about doing so even if it doesn’t really feel easier.
    1. Continue working toward a 5-min lunge.
    2. Remember the purpose of a higher cadence: It trains you to spin at an easier gear and thus use less energy but allows you to spin that fast at a harder gear if necessary. That is, if your opponents attack, you will be able to match them without having to shift because you’re used to spinning up to a higher cadence. And, if they don’t attack, you’ll be able to out-ride them because you can go fast in easier gears and even faster in harder gears.
    3. Stay in good shape.
    4. Practice this on the trainer by trying some of the following:
      1. 1 minute of 110 RPM every 5 minutes
      2. 2 minutes of 110 RPM every 10 minutes
      3. 5 minutes of 110 RPM every 10 minutes
      4. 10 minutes of 110 RPM during one workout
  8. *** Win the state crit jersey.
    1. *** This is dependent on Lisa S and Todd N and what he wants our team to accomplish.
    2. Race in lots of crits, and win them all; or at least, place in all of them to increase points and experience.
    3. Get in every break that looks dangerous.
    4. Trust my teammates to do their job.
    5. Watch what everyone else is doing, and pay attention to other teams’ strategies.
    6. Race the Cat III and Cat IV races (that is, if I am a Cat III).
  9. Lose weight if possible.
    1. A lower weight should be easier to race/climb at.
    2. I have no idea where to start here except for eating less, but I already know I don’t eat enough calories.
    3. I’ve been at the same weight, +/-5 pounds, for the last 10 years, which makes knowing where to start even harder.
** Iron Will Sports and Fitness 90-day challenge
*** Dependent on Todd and his plan for Team Belladium

**** Time Chart

Good news: My previous current time (before 2010’s season) for Olympic Swim was 30:31, and my first goal was 22:31. I met and exceeded that goal this year! So, I moved my other goals over and added another. I also went from 1:19:30 to 1:09:55 in Sprint Triathlon and from 1:19:40 to 1:07:48 in Olympic Bike Current Time (Pace). Everything else stayed the same.

DistanceCurrent Time (Pace)First Goal (Pace)Second Goal (Pace)
5K22:10 (7:06)20:30 (6:34)18:59 (6:20)
10K46:36 (7:30)40:36 (6:45)37:59 (6:20)a
Half Marathon1:48:30 (8:16)1:35:00 (7:15)1:25:00 (6:29)
Marathon4:07:12 (9:26)3:59:59 (9:09)3:40:00 (8:23)
Sprint Triathlon1:09:55**********
Olympic Triathlon2:31:102:16:102:00:00
Half Ironman5:28:264:58:264:28:26
Olympic Swim22:2119:0017:00
Olympic Bike1:07:48 (20.8)1:05:001:00:00
Olympic Run (10K)50:22 (8:15)44:00 (7:02)40:36 (6:45)
******40K TT (Bike)1:07:481:04:451:00:00

**** These are obviously not exhaustive goals. When I achieve what I have here, I’ll make new ones.
***** This is really hard to gauge because every course is drastically different.
****** I’ve never actually done a 40K TT; this is from Memphis in May’s Olympic-distance tri. However, I’ll be racing at least one this season, so it should be on my goals.


Quick swim at lunch (750), then lunge and standing ham in the afternoon are all I did today in anticipation of the TTT tomorrow. Except that it wasn't just a lunge—it was all 5 minutes on my right leg. So I've already accomplished half of my first goal! Woohoo!!!

No comments: