Monday, September 13, 2010

Walnuts and Extreme Slows

Snacks and supper

Today wasn't the rest day it was supposed to have been, but I still did some rest-day activities! First, though, I had to get the iso workout done that I hadn't gotten to last week: 5 minutes, extreme slow. It was probably one of my best workouts. I don't know why, but I felt great during every one of the exercises. I worked hard, focused, and tried to visualize by thinking about racing or actually running or actually swimming or actually cycling.
  • Bench (45lb)
  • Standing curl (10-lb dumbbells)
  • Seated plate front delt (5-lb plate)
  • GHR
  • Lunge
  • Zurcher squat
Then for the fun stuff: supper and candied walnuts. One of my favorite things to do on a rest day is bake, and today was no exception. I'd gotten this recipe from Aunt Renee and wanted to try it, so I did. It required buying half the ingredients and a food thermometer first, but it was worth it.

Sugared walnuts—yum!

Cinnamon-Sugar Nuts
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups nuts, walnuts or pecans
  1. Stirring constantly, heat water, sugar, cinnamon, and salt to 236* (soft ball state on a candy thermometer).
  2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375*, then bake nuts for 5 minutes.
  3. When mixture reaches 236*, pour over nuts and mix well.
  4. Return to nut/sugar pan every few minutes to stir; otherwise, the nuts will not be completely coated or they will be very clumpy.
This is a super easy recipe (if you have the patience to wait until 236*), and the result is some very tasty snacks!

No comments: