Saturday, September 18, 2010

Long Run

Taffy Apple Salad—Yum!

Shawn with the ribs he smoked all day—Yum!

Todd with the end-of-the-year gift from the ladies

Sam loved Lisa's gift!

The cheerleader!

I got a great long run in today. It was absolutely gorgeous this morning, and I took full advantage of God's creation. I got in just over 8 miles in about 1:06. I had intended to run 9-minute miles, a nice, easy, slow pace, but I didn't look at my watch until mile 5 and saw 41:xx. I knew I was running closer to 8s and was actually pretty happy. The last 3 miles are mostly uphill and my average went down slightly, but I'm not complaining, especially since I was planning on 1:12.

Saturday's run

After that, it was lunch with Allison, who is in town for the weekend. She was one of my great running partners and remains a great friend, even though she's since moved. We ended up at one of her favorite haunts, Pueblo Real in Franklin, with Kelly, Carol, and Erin.

I had a little time to relax during the afternoon, then it was off to Parri's house for a season-ending party with the team and a bunch of other people. I made some tasty taffy apple salad and we enjoyed tons of other treats and everyone's company. Altogether a fantastic day!

Todd gave out little things to each of the women as a little thank you and I'm proud of you token, and they were great gifts. Everyone enjoyed them and laughed a lot!

  • Anna: "Criterium Raceing is a SNAP" t-shirt, homemade, to remind her that she can do it!
  • Cali: "Bride to Bling" sash since she got so many 2nds before finally placing 1st in the final race
  • Jonell: Gun and holster because she was so good a going from the gun
  • Kailin: Pom-poms for my incessant cheerleading throughout the season
  • Lee: A teacher ruler and pencils for her role as team mentor
  • Lisa C: Boxing gloves to remind her to be a little less nice during the races
  • Lisa S: A rain gauge for her ability to predict the weather
  • Parri: A bell to remind her when the last lap of a crit is starting
  • Shelly: Barking stuffed dog for her tenacity
  • Valerie: Angel wings and a halo because she's an awesome climber and "angel" is a nickname the TdF peloton gives climbers

Here's the recipe for Taffy Apple Salad. It's from memory, so I hope the vinegar/flour measurements are correct!

  • 1 can pineapple tidbits or crushed
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 ½ Tbsp flour
  • 1 ½ Tbsp vinegar
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 2 cups small marshmallows
  • 3 cups diced apples
  • 1 ½ cups peanuts
  • 8 oz cool whip
  1. Drain the pineapple but save the juice.
  2. In a pan, combine the pineapple juice, sugar, flour, vinegar, and eggs. Cook over low to medium heat until sauce thickens.
  3. Combine marshmallows and pineapple.
  4. Refrigerate sauce overnight, and refrigerate marshmallow/pineapple mixture overnight.
  5. Mix the sauce and the cool whip.
  6. Mix all ingredients. Serve chilled.

No comments: