Saturday, October 10, 2009

Windy Mack Hatcher

Mack Hatcher felt like the Queen K Highway today. So, in honor of everyone who is racing Ironman Hawaii tomorrow, I extended my ride (from 45 minutes to 1:13, 21.25 miles, 17.5 average) and rode up and down Mack Hatcher. The tail wind was nice the total of 5 miles, but the cross wind and head wind were fantastic. Although slow, it was anything but a leisurely ride!

I kept thinking I was out in Hawaii racing. Then I pretended that I was chasing Chrissie (current female IM world champion) and Bree for first place. In my dreams, but it made me work hard. No stats, but I did get the Garmin to work. Actually, Mike from Garmin support helped me out; the watch needed a soft reset but the manual didn't say how to accomplish that; he informed me that you hold the Lap and Mode keys simultaneously for at least 8 seconds, let go, then press the Power button. Success! This will be great for tomorrow's run.

Angela and I tried to play a little tennis, but the sky was looking ominous. The wind was going to make it hard to actually play, so we settled on only serving. We each had served maybe 20 when the skies opened up and we got poured on. It was fun while it lasted! That meant, though, that I could try to complete today's workout. I plan to try to race the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Brentwood (12,000 people expected!) tomorrow and will be happy to get stats from the races—especially since I think the course is the same as or similar to the Firecracker 5K course, on which I have my PR.

Yesterday I did 5 on, 5 off thru 45 then 40 on, 5 off thru 5 preacher curl. Today I did 5 on, 5 off thru 20 lunge, glute ham, and push up. Then I remembered that Will usually has me do 5 on, 10 off thru 30. We'll see how this translates to speed tomorrow.

Thursday was Aunt Renee's birthday, and today I went over to their house to celebrate with her. Bennett and his friend Caleigh were there, so it was fun being with a big family! Lauren and I had a little theological discussion—who knew that you could have such a discussion with a 10-year-old? Uncle John took iVideo, but I doubt I'll see it, so unfortunately there are no pictures. Lauren decorated the cake beautifully, and then we watched youtube videos. Not sure if that's what ARenee would have chosen, but she let the boys enjoy their time.

No comments: