Sunday, November 1, 2009

Running; Schedule and Goals

Yesterday Will and I figured out a schedule/goals list for the next couple months. Here’s what we came up with as far as a schedule (subject to change, but having this structure is great for me!):

10 workouts
4 others (2 swim, 1 run, 1 ride)

Monday    Tuesday    Wednesday Thursday  Friday    Saturday   Sunday
6am wrkt  6am wrkt   6am wrkt  6am wrkt  6am wrkt  AM run
8am swim             8am swim
          6:30 wrkt  6:30 wrkt 6:30 wrkt mid wrkt  late wrkt  late ride


And here’s what I came up with for goals:

Distance
Intermediate Pace
Aggressive Pace
5K
6:34
6:17
10K
6:31
6:20
10K (tri)
7:30
6:31
Half Mary
7:15
6:29

So today, we went out to get an idea of speed. I tried to run as fast as I could until I couldn’t, then I took 5 minutes rest, then repeated. I ended up with 5 real reps (we couldn’t count the first one, which I ran what I thought was too fast so I just stopped; obviously I didn’t quite have the right mindset). I’m not sure how I feel about today’s workout. It felt like I was running fast, but I just couldn’t run that fast for that long. It was encouraging seeing that I could run faster than I’d thought, but I really wasn’t lasting much longer than 0.25 miles before I just felt like I couldn’t get enough air. Will wondered if maybe it was more I was kind of freaked out that maybe I might not be able to breathe or if it was really I couldn’t go any more, and I thought maybe a little of both.

I don’t have the most reliable results from the Garmin, but Will’s trusty stopwatch had me running about 90 seconds at a time. What I do have is this:
  • Approx. 8 minutes, 1.33 miles, 6:03 pace, 150 HR (197 max) HR
  • Lap 1: 1:26, 6:00 pace (5:14 best), 0.25 miles (this was the one I stopped on)
  • Laps 2 and 3: unreliable, but 5:22 best pace
  • Lap 4: 1:27, 6:03 pace (5:25 best), 0.25 mi
  • Lap 5: 1:28, 5:42 pace (5:03 best), 0.26 mi
  • Lap 6: 1:10, 5:54 pace (5:08 best), 0.20 mi

I was really encouraged about the speed but discouraged about the distance. Will was confused why my inner thighs might have been tired. But my legs definitely warmed up and felt much better after the first couple. The only thing that couldn’t keep up was my breathing. It was all around fun and good, though, and we have something to go off of and build on. When we finished, we ended up retracing most of Will’s steps to find his phone (which we did, praise God!) and then joined Nancy at Cozymels for lunch. Yum! And, before I forget, this cat has tried to come into my apt at least 3 times, but instead of letting him in I just watched him and took his picture.


No comments: