Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lunge, Lunge, then Lunge Some More!

We did a lot of lunging today. And a lot of everything else we did. Everyone was there (Bill, Nancy, Zach, and Natalie) and was happy to be working out, and that made the time fly by. Good thing, too, because each leg's lunging was about 13 minutes (and only because Will cut it down from 20 reps to 15 reps).
  • Lunge R: lunge, take 10 deep breaths while in the lunge position, Russian lunge, hold the lunge, repeat for 15 total reps. I did stand up a few times between some reps (it was probably about every 2 or 3), but it was still about 13 minutes of lunging.
  • Lunge L: lunge, take 10 deep breaths while in the lunge position, Russian lunge, hold the lunge, repeat for 15 total reps. I did stand up a few times between some reps (it was probably about every 2 or 3), but it was still about 13 minutes of lunging.
  • Glute ham: hold at the top (about 80–85*) while taking 10 deep breaths, 1 rep (kind of a rebound rep but definitely supposed to be a fast rep), hold at the top, repeat for 15 total reps. I did 5 at a time, then stood up and gave my knees a break, then repeated.
  • Push up: hands on the ground, hold up at the top while taking 10 deep breaths, 1 rep (fast down and up), hold at the top, repeat for 15 total reps. I did 9 then had to break, then 2, then the final 4.
Will mentioned that the lunge was the most important exercise. It really was good, lengthening my muscles for a little while but then breaking things up a little with the RL. The hardest part, I think, was breathing deeply each set of 10 breaths. About 2 reps into the first leg, I started to get a headache that never really went away. It would hurt less when I stood up and hurt more as soon as I was in the lunge position. I think it's from not being used to focusing on breathing deeply (Will said sometimes you could get tingly or start yawning, too, because your body's just not used to getting that much oxygen); something else to work on while at work now. But since lately I haven't been breathing well while running, this should help fix that.

The only thing is, I wasn't really thinking about running at all while doing these. I was at first thinking about the headache (only on the right side of my head) but then decided that was ridiculous because I should have been thinking about lunging. So I changed my focus to my legs but wasn't really thinking about running. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

No comments: