Sunday, December 21, 2008

Training Log; 5K

Mom, Kelsie, and me before the Jingle Bell 5K run

This morning was a 5K race down Ali'i Drive. There were at least 150 people between the 5K and 1 mile. I ended up in 4th place overall females with a time of 22:40. Not my best time by 10 seconds. I know I went out too fast, so after the first half turnaround (10:55), I slowed down and finished the second half in 11:45. Ugh! I need to run negative splits.


Dad and me leaving from Costco

Then after church, Dad and I started from the Costco here and rode up Hina Lani (aka Costco Road) to Kaloko and then climbed all of Kaloko. (Pro triathlete Bree Wee takes lots of pictures and describes the ride better than I can.)

The total elevation from Hina Lani to the top of Kaloko

It was 11.25 miles total and took 1:57 ride time to get to the top. Dad was slightly behind me, so I waited for him at the top of each of the 6 switchbacks/hard climbs. After a little break at the top, we headed down for our 20-minute descent (during which I got up to 45.6 without pedaling at all!).

I made it to the top!!!

We also got to ride along the Queen K highway, which is part of the Ironman race. That was fun! It ended up being about 30 miles. My legs were not tired at all; I felt like I could have done the entire climb again or like I could have gone much faster. Definitely tried to breathe through my nose and use my muscles to pedal up and down. My HR never really spiked.

The sunset along Ali'i Drive

(Some of this I might have just said, but I'm just copying it from my notebook; sorry for the repetition!)

Mom and I drove down to the pier on Ali'i for the free Jingle Bell 5K run and 1-mile run/walk. Dad came with for support. We met Mom's friend Kelsie. There was no registration--you just lined up, she ("Turtle") counted down from 10, and then you went out to the cone with a sign that said "Turn around" on it (there were also 2 people there handing you water if you wanted it).

I went out too fast and hit the turnaround at 10:55 and the finish at 22:40 (11:45 second half). I finished as the 4th overall female, #051 on my popsicle stick that was for my time. I got a lei with an ornament and some coffee, but Kelsie wanted the coffee so I traded with her for Macadamia Nut Fudge.

We went home, went to Solid Rock Ministries for church (100 or so people at the 11am service),

Pretty sure my arms look amazing in both these pictures...

ate lunch at Costco,


and then Dad and I got ready to climb up Kaloko on our bikes. (See above for the details; I won't repeat them here.) At home we talked to John the neighbor, had some food, and watched Psych.

Proverbs 21:21 He who follows righteousness and mercy finds life, righteousness, and honor.
Proverbs 20:24 A man's steps are of the Lord; how then can a man understand his own way?
Proverbs 16:1, 9 The preparations of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.

No comments: