Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Training Log; 5 miles; 3x30sec heavy

Something is going to have to change, because I'm somehow not finding enough time to finish everything I want to do. I was supposed to do three 1-mile sprints at 7:03 pace with a 1-minute rest interval. I ended up doing one 1-mile at just under and two 0.5-mile at just under. Looking back, I probably should have done two 1-miles, but I didn't. At least I did three. Next time if I'm pressed for time I'll do two 1-miles. This was on the treadmill at the downtown Y; I don't like treadmills, but I was able to keep a good pace on it.

Setting the mph to 8.5 put me at a 7:03 pace; I upped that to 8.6 for the last 0.2 miles of the 1-mile and the second 0.5-mile (hence finishing just under 7:03 or 3:31).

  • Warmup mile 1--9:25
  • Warmup mile 2--8:59 (I'm getting smart--no 7-min warmup miles!)
  • 2:27
  • Mile 1--6:57
  • Rest interval--1:10
  • Half mile 1--3:31
  • Rest interval--1:19
  • Half mile 2--3:27
  • Sort-of rest interval--2:57
  • Cool down--12:57
  • Total--52:38

Then it was on to the real stuff: 3x30 second heavy isos. Weights are always my favorite.

  • Dip: no weight, but all 3 sets felt really good. I might be ready for some weight next time. The last set, I had to restart about 20 seconds in, but when I did, I definitely could tell I was working my lats again (rather than when I was falling, I just felt like I was trying to keep myself from falling by using my shoulders).
  • Scap pullup: no weight, and I could not figure out my wrist straps. I did the first one on the pull up bar (directly overhead) but was really struggling, so I did the second two on the pullup machine with no weight. I still can't pull myself up all the way when my hands are directly overhead. Hopefully in a year or so I'll be able to!
  • Push up: 35-lb plate, on my feet. I actually felt really good doing this one and was focused on keeping my elbows out. When I do that, I can feel myself using my lats, which is a good thing.
  • Crate crunch: I had to skip this one because I know I can do it at home.
  • Lunge: heavy bar with a 25-lb plate on both sides. The equipment I was using was different than what I use at MFY, and I wasn't able to step all the way out (I was restricted by the bar and by the floor brace). So I just stepped up and back down, and then moved my back leg into position so that my front shin was perpendicular. I did not like doing it this way. This was a good amount of weight (perhaps a little too much); I could still stand up under it, but I wasn't standing up straight--I was definitely leaning forward. Not good!
  • One-leg squat: 25-lb plate. I could definitely do more weight leg-wise, but since this is after all the arm stuff, I can't hold much more weight. I was really trying to lengthen the hamstring while the back part of the lunge was cut off. I'm never sure whether I'm doing this one correctly.
  • Glute hamstring: no weight (that's what the sheet said). I might have found a glute ham stand, which would make me happy, but I definitely do not think I'm working as hard on that as I am when I'm on the floor with my feet braced under a bar. I know it was because I didn't have to use my glutes much at all, but I was really trying to. I might keep trying that every other time or something just to see how I feel afterward; if I start feeling like I'm using the correct muscles, I'll keep using that (it's the back-extension thing, and I just stand on the opposite side so that my legs can still be parallel to the ground; I'll have to check my notes to see if that's really what I should be doing).
  • Standing hamstring: I had to skip this one.

Then it was off to Maggiano's Italian restaurant for dinner with the coworkers and most of their significant others. It was nice. The food was good (although nothing special), but it definitely was more enjoyable than last year (the food wasn't good, and the atmosphere just wasn't the best for a work lunch; plus they erred with some of our food).

No comments: