Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Training Log; 7 minutes

We had a great spread at work today. These were only two-thirds of what we actually had; one table wasn't full of food when I took this picture because it had been some lunch stuff. I forgot how long it had been since I'd had puppy chow. Mmmmm, that stuff is good!

The food spread at Boson. There was a ton for all 14 of us!

I finally finished yesterday's workout!
  • Push up (on knees per Will's instructions): I did the first 2:30 on 20-lb dumbbells but didn't feel like I was able to pull down deep enough before my face would be on the ground. So I stopped and grabbed 40-lb ones because they have higher ends. I would have liked to have used 2 benches, but that wasn't an option. Then I restarted, went 2:40, and then finished. I sometimes felt like I could have kept myself up had the ground not been right under me. I'll have to remember to do this one on benches, so it will have to be somewhere other than Donelson.
  • Scap pull up: It took me 20 minutes to do these 7, and I only finished 4 total minutes of work (yeah, my schedule says, "7 minutes; no rest." That didn't happen here. First I tried a regular pull up bar, but I couldn't get my wrist straps to work correctly on just the bar--they kept slipping on the metal beneath. Then I moved to the pull up machine and took off 80 lbs plus had the wrist straps. I still could only go for 2 minutes, then a break, then 1 minute, break, another minute, done (because I ran out of time). This one is right now my hardest and most frustrating one, and it's one that I'm not supposed to skip when I run low on time. I can see how it's a beneficial exercise--I just can't do it yet!
Donelson also has 2 new flexibility/agility machines. One is a hamstring one and the other is a hip flexor one. I tried it just to see what my flexibility on it registered.
  • Right hamstring: 99, out of a possible I'm not sure how much. Then I stretched there for a1 minute, but basically I tried to lengthen my hamstring (i.e. work) the whole time. So I pretty much felt like I'd done a 1-minute lunge.
  • Left hamstring: 93. Same thing as the previous.
  • Right hip flexor: 39, out of way less than the hamstring (posterior). I'm thinking maybe 50? Again, I made this feel a lot like the lunge, only because this was anterior, it was much more similar to the 1-leg squat. Maybe I should go there more often to create those feelings so I know what to do for 1-leg squat, which is just under scap pull up on my frustration list.
After that, it was a little CU basketball...the Yellow Jackets won! Trevecca's gym and environment were not at all what I expected. Cedarville packs out the gym with students wearing blue and gold and always has the pep band (even when school is out for break, whoever is around and can play does). TNU's gym was like a high school gym minus the crowd. There were nearly as many CU people (5 hours away, but there's a good alumni contingent around here) and TNU fans!

CU wins 75-63!

I was sitting in the back row on the visitors' side, and I was practically on the bench. We could hear everything Coach Estepp said and I probably could have been out there running the plays he drew if I had been paying attention to that!

Practically on the bench

Note the nearly empty gym. I met Brittney, wife of Grant #11, and sat with her. She said that there was a retirement community across the street, and they often get fans from there. What you're looking at is the TNU student section, occupied by about a dozen students, 3 of whom were actually into the game.

So empty!

I also saw Cara again and met John and Lynn, a couple from Spring Hill. They had the same trouble I did: while driving next to the gym, they stopped and asked me where the gym was (I showed them and then told then that I had just done the same thing). I'm convinced the building wasn't labeled at all. But I found my way in and enjoyed the game.

No comments: