Saturday, December 13, 2008

Training Log; 10 6 3 EDI

No time to run today, so I only did this workout. I definitely like having a workout I can do when I know I won't have enough time to get in the mileage that I want to. I forgot to check my other notes from this workout, so I was trying to remember how many sets we'd done. I decided it was supposed to be 2-3, so that's what I did.
  • Lunge: 3 sets. 10 seconds, deepest position possible; 10 times up and down hard and fast, with a violent stop at both top and bottom; 10 seconds, deepest position possible; 6 times up and down hard and fast, with a violent stop at both top and bottom; 10 seconds, deepest position possible; 3 times up and down hard and fast, with a violent stop at both top and bottom. The third set was definitely hard!
  • Glute ham (reps to arm's length): 2 sets. I probably should have done 3, but I was not happy with the bar my feet were under--it was a little too far off the ground and I didn't feel like I was using my hamstrings to the best of my advantage. In fact, I felt like I was using only my arms for the reps up and down. I might try this one again.
  • Wall squat: 3 minutes. I could not find a good wall (it's amazing how each facility is different--MFY has great walls, BY has all brick walls that caused major friction when I was going up and down. I did the first 10 seconds and 10 reps, and then I decided I'd just go for as long as I could. 3 minutes was it yesterday. 4 minutes is my record, but that's not after having done glute ham and lunges
  • Push up: 3 sets. Will's note says "on knees; small range of motion." I did the second part but not the first one--they were all on my feet, and I was able to at least push a little for all the reps for all the sets. Hooray! That does, however, make me think that EDIs might require a partner?
  • Curl: 3 sets, 20-lb bar. I think I know now how you can do towel curls and have your arms be tired after--it's all about engaging the muscles no matter what the weight is. For these curls, I always feel like I'm not using my biceps like I should be, but I don't know what to do differently to make that happen.
  • Scap pull up: 2 sets. Ugh. I should really do this one every day--it makes me feel so weak! I think I took off 90 lbs and was still struggling after the first 10 seconds. That made the rest of the first set and second set super hard!
Yesterday was Allison's going-away party. I can't believe I'm losing another good friend to our itinerate culture. But it was nice. I got to meet her running training partner, Bridget, about whom I'd heard so much. Unfortunately I only knew 2 other people, both of whom I'd met only once and hardly knew. Everyone else (besides Bridget, who was there with her fiance) knew at least a few other people, but no one knew everyone. Allison has this weird way of making connections and being the connection between tons of different groups of friends. It was fun to be there for Allison, but since I was going to be somewhere where I knew no one, I would have much rather gone to the hockey game! (That's more my style!)

I did learn today another fun workout. Here's what Bree (my fave pro triathlete!) told me about her most recent run:
Okay, for that work out, it is by minutes. So, you start about 10k pace for 5 minutes, then 2 minutes easy, 4 minutes faster than 10k pace, 2 easy, 3 minutes 5k pace, 2 easy, 2 minutes all out, 2 easy, 1 minute as fast as you can, 2 easy...

it is done best on a treadmill
Sounds like fun, doesn't it? It's only 25 minutes, (but that was just the main set) so it shouldn't be too bad.... I'm not sure what the rest of the workout entailed (except I know a ride with 1:15 intervals was in there somewhere), but I'm sure it was more than that! She does Ironmans, after all, and will be racing Kona as a pro next year!

No comments: