Sunday, December 14, 2008

Training Log; 5 on through 40

I got to climb to the top of the Eiffel tower today! How exciting...I didn't even have to leave middle Tennessee! 2,731 total steps. On the stair stepper, that took me 38 minutes. I'm not sure if that's a good time or not, but it sure was fun being able to climb something I'll likely never see. Oh, and before that I swam 550 (500 with flippers). And I thought I sunk before! I'm hoping to be able to do a few races while I'm in Hawaii, so I had to get in the water for a little. Ocean swimming will be way better than indoor pool swimming. I do so much better swimming consistently when MFY's outdoor 50-meter pool is open.

I decided that I couldn't do just that, especially since I wasn't riding or running, so I went back to Monday's workout and did the lower-body portion (and added curls).
  • One-leg squat: When I do this in front of a mirror, I think I do better. At least I can make sure that I look straight up and down. It did feel more like I was doing a lunge. This week I read through the notes Will had given me to tell me what each one was supposed to be, and I was really trying to focus on hamstrings. I seem to have trouble feeling my hamstrings, at least on this exercise.
  • Lunge: I forced myself not to let my back knee ever touch the ground even while I was pulling into the deepest position possible (well, almost the deepest, because I didn't want my knee to touch!). I definitely got my heart rate up, so I wouldn't have had to repeat any of these, but because I get lightheaded on the intervals after 25 seconds, I have to take more time than 5 seconds between each rep. I don't think I should be, but it's either that or possible falling over when I step down, and I'd rather not do that!
  • Glute ham: Just for fun, I put the heavy bar and 25-lb plates on each end on the bench that I was using. I know that I can pick the bench up with no weight. This way, there was no way I would be able to budge it, even though I tried my hardest every rep! I still have trouble engaging my glutes while still using my hamstrings; I have a terrible tendency to want to use my lower back, and then when I realize it I try to go back to using the right muscles.
  • Preacher curl: 20-lb bar, seated, with arms on bench. I'm sure I could have used more weight, but I'm always nervous since I don't have anyone to take it from me if necessary. I did remember this time to not let my arms extend all the way out...I made that mistake last time, Will laughed at me, and I couldn't hold the bar at all. Yeah, I learned quickly that that was wrong!
In the afternoon, La and I were working on a puzzle while Luke and I watched the Titans.

We finished the edges and started on his face and belly. La will probably have it done by the time I return.

Who goes for the first down on 4th and 3 when their team is 2 for 11 on 3rd down conversions and their kicker is on fire (having already made 4 field goals for the game)? Well, the Titans' coach did, and they lost by one. Ugh! We enjoyed some fudge (homemade by Lauren...mmmmm!) and managed to finish the edges of the puzzle. Then Renee sent me out with a bag full of presents. So much for taking only a carry-on to Hawaii! But I'll feel like Santa when I get there. Now it's off to pack and bake some cookies!

No comments: