Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Training Log; 10x10 sec manual holds

I think I'm getting my groove back. Today's workout actually felt normal (although I'll probably repeat it tomorrow to give me something to do).

I beat Lisa to the Y, so I ran a mile around the track (14 laps; 7:14). That was not the 3x1-mile @ 7:02 that was prescribed for today, but there was no way I was running outside (wet and dark and I had no reflective gear with me) or running around the track (I wouldn't have been able to change directions ever and my knees would have started screaming), and I couldn't run on a treadmill (every aerobic machine but the spin bikes were all moved around and unavailable while they redo the wellness center). The warmup was just to get my feet warm (the clothes get cold sitting in the car all day!), and then I did some side-to-side jumps. One time through, 20 jumps each time:
  • outside leg to outside leg
  • inside leg to inside leg
  • right leg only
  • left leg only
  • 2-leg lateral
  • 2-leg vertical
Between each set of 20, I ran a lap.

Then it was off to do the manual holds.
  • Lunge: 2 sets, both legs. Lisa said that she was getting a good core workout while holding me down. Will has never told me that he's been working; oh, the things you learn from working out with different people! On the last rep of the second set on my left leg, I was completely unable to stand up. But I never had to take any weight off for any of the other reps.
  • Wall squat: 2 sets, no problems, felt good, worked hard.
  • Push up: 2 sets, did the last 5 of the second set on my knees, pushed up at least somewhat on all reps (however, the last few I wasn't moving much!)
  • Curl: Lisa decided she wanted to try this one too! So I got to hold and see what that was like: Exciting! This time I actually felt something--I was focused on engaging my legs the entire time, and I was also focused on pulling with my lats and using my biceps. !Ay!, there is so much to remember! But when I don't have to count seconds or reps, I can definitely focus on the workout better!
  • Glute ham (reps to arm's length): This will have to happen tomorrow at a different facility.
  • Scap pull up: This also will have to happen tomorrow.
Then it was off to Allison's to share some friendship bread (which was a hit at work this morning) and drop off a box. I'm very sad that she is leaving, but I'll have to make at least one trip up there to race with her. Oh, and she has been talking to Wycliffe about her starting a running group that would raise money to help them with translation. Since she's moving to Indy, she'll be the leader there and would like leaders around the country if possible. So of course I volunteered. It should be fun to coordinate that sort of group; it's right up my alley. I ran some errands and now it's off to bed.

No comments: