Saturday, December 6, 2008

Training Log; 7+3 miles; 7 min ISOs

I wanted to break up today's workout a little because I knew the 7-min part would be crazy hard. The run book called for a 13-mile run at 8:53 pace, and the rest of the workout for today called for 7 minutes of work, all isos if time permits. So I started out with half the run. Will says to make a theme for the workouts, not to "just do it," so today I decided to work on breathing through my nose. I was doing really well until I hit mile 7 and the hill up to my apt, but I still did it, I just had to focus more.
  • Weather: 46* or something (thankfully it was not extremely windy); yes, I braved the cold (with 2 layers of pants and shirt; the gloves came off after 2.5 miles, and the feet were actually warm the first mile, cold the second, but then a normal temperature after that).
  • Mile 1: 8:05.36
  • Mile 2: 7:51.25
  • Mile 3: 8:34.16
  • Mile 4: 8:19.18
  • Mile 5: 7:52.15
  • Mile 6: 7:20.86 (split early because I lost a satellite signal for my GPS and I wanted to time up Moores Lane--my goal is to hit that last (uphill) mile under 8 minutes)
  • Mile 7: 7:15.87 (split early again, but I ran to the bench that is my mile marker; mapmyrun has me at 6.8 total miles)
  • Cool down and Total: 1:00:00
  • Route: Moores, Franklin, Mallory Station, Jackson neighborhood, Morning Side neighborhood, Mallory Station, GG Patton, Moores, home
Then it was 7 minutes of work on lunge only, both legs. I lasted at least 2 minutes for both legs, and then at 4 minutes, 2 minutes, and most of the 30-sec intervals after 2 minutes, I tried to get my back knee off the ground and then pull down again just to make sure I was doing it right. I took at least 7 minutes between exercises.

After a shower and some supper, I headed to the Y for round 2. Unfortunately, I was definitely not feeling it.

Warm up: 3 miles on the elliptical
  • 1-leg squat: This did not feel right at all, on either leg. It's supposed to be a lunge with the back half cut off, but the only thing I was feeling was my hip flexor. Then I just got frustrated so I stopped after 3 minutes on the right leg and 1 minute on the left leg.
  • Standing ham: I really tried to do this one, especially after having failed at the previous one.
  • Wall squat: 3 minutes, then I fell no less than 12 times during the remaining 4 minutes. I could not keep myself up! But every time I had to restart, I did pull myself down fast and into the deepest position I could and kept pulling until I hit the ground.
  • Push up: After 2 minutes (on my knees), my arms started falling asleep. Last time I did this 7-min workout, I did this on my knees with my hands on two benches. Probably about 2 minutes in, I told Will I felt like I was going to fall down to the floor at any time. I never did, but I also didn't make it the entire 7 minutes without sitting back a few times. Today I felt like I was doing everything completely wrong.
I decided that it was better to not do the rest at all rather than to do them wrong. So I'll do what I didn't even start (glute ham?, curl, pull up, and dip) tomorrow and do what I started and didn't finish (1-leg squat and push up) tomorrow if time permits.

No comments: