Thursday, December 4, 2008

Training Log; 10x30 sec; 5-mi tempo

I've decided that I do much better at both things if I run first and then do the workouts, so that's what I'll continue to do. Otherwise, I start out cold and never really warm up, and then I work so hard I can't run at the speeds I'm supposed to. So I did it in the correct order and had fun doing both. Today's workout did mean no racquetball, though, so that was a little bit of a bummer.

First up: 5-mi tempo run
  • Weather: didn't matter--I was on the treadmill. As much as I don't like it, it really is good because I can let the machine worry about my pace and then all I have to worry about are completing the mileage and doing it right.
  • Total time: 40:07.60, but I don't remember what the final mileage was and I know I stopped my watch after I got off the treadmill.
  • Mile 1: 8:41.73
  • Mile 2: 8:11.07
  • Mile 3: 7:36.87
  • Mile 4: 7:33.00
  • Cool down: 8:04.93
Miles 3 and 4 were supposed to be at 7:35 pace (7.9 mph on the treadmill). I warmed up to that pace and split the timer on the mile, so I have no idea how I could have finished over 7:35 for the first mile. For the second mile, I had to speed up for the last quarter mile because I really wanted to make up for being a second over on the previous one. I started at a 6.5 pace and then continually increased the pace until I got to where I had to be--it felt like a true tempo run!

Then it was on to 10x30 seconds (manual holds), which I did alone.
  • Lunge: I was able to do the first 3 or 4 intervals on each leg without having to take any weight off (i.e. putting my back knee down), but at the start of every new interval, I popped up and then back down and stayed off my knee for as long as possible, all the while pulling into the deepest position possible. I was really focused on pushing into the ground with my back foot (as well as my front) to try to avoid my front shin becoming unperpendicular.
  • Glute ham: I really wanted to use the stand, but someone was on it the whole time. So I did this laying on the ground with reps to arms' length at every interval. That was hard, but I think my hamstrings are getting stronger!
  • Altitude drop push up: On my knees the whole time (per Will's mandate), but I was actually able to push up all the way (and then sit completely up between reps--again per my instructions) every time! Woohoo! I could tell also that I was engaging my legs and core, which is what I should be doing every time.
  • Curl: Started with the 30-lb bar for the first 5; used the 10-lb dumbbells for the next 5. Now I know why it could be hard to do towel curls!
  • Crate crunch: This one was just as hard as all the others had been; I hope that means that I'm doing them all correctly and working as hard as I can on all of them!
This can only mean that coming up next is 7 minutes of work, all ISO if time permits! Saturday should be fun!

No comments: