Sunday, November 30, 2008

Training Log; 10 6 3 EDI; 3 miles

I just remembered this--Will said that the Russian lunge one I did, I did wrong. It was only supposed to be that jumping lunge during the lunge exercise. Oops. Oh, and he also said that if I'm pressed for time, I shouldn't cut out reps, I should cut out exercises. Note to self. Maybe he'll add it into the new month's work and I'll have a legitimate reason to ask him to explain it.

Today, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill (which I hate) instead of running in the wind and rain (which I hate worse); give me 55* and sun any day, and I'll be one happy chica! 9:35 warmup mile, 8:33 mile 2, 8:33 mile 3. Since I'm focused on trying to use my hamstrings and push into the ground with the ball of my feet, I always feel link I'm going to get shin splints. I'm not sure what the connection is. I do need to get back to the Y to use the foam rollers on my hips/knee/IT band area, though. That will be a good Monday activity.

10 6 3 EDI, 2 sets. I tried to imagine that I was pushing up against someone. Will said yesterday that this girl Hannah (a sprinter in AZ) could push him and another guy while she was doing the hamstring thing (on the glute ham stand). I can't even get myself up off the ground without help from my hands. But he said she's crazy fast, and if I can get my hamstrings stronger I can be crazy fast, too! So that's a good goal--be able to get myself up off the ground on the reps without having to use my hands so much. That and really trying to lengthen the hamstrings while doing lunges. I think I'll start working even harder; I guess I never really connected that I should also be making it hard for him (like during the manual holds), but it would make me work harder to push harder.
  • Lunge: R, L, a 2-minute (or so) break, R, L. I really tried to pull myself into the deepest position possible. It felt like I could go a lot deeper since I had just finished running. Then I was also trying to pop up and down fast; typically, each rep took a second.
  • Wall squat: at least for the second set, I was really trying to keep my lower legs perpendicular to the ground. When I get tired, I have a tendency to push back instead of up, and I could really tell that it was right pushing up and wrong (easier, which I don't want) pushing back.
  • Glute ham raise: I'm curious to see how sore my hamstrings are tomorrow. Also my lower back was sore last time, I think partly from this and partly from the curl. You're not supposed to use your lower back at all on this one, so today I was really trying to keep my core tight and use only my hamstrings and glutes. I was also thinking of doing a hamstring curl instead of just pulling up.
  • Curl: I was definitely focused on keeping my chest up by pulling with my lats (although during my hours in the car this weekend, I was trying to feel this one; I think I'm getting closer to getting this one down). Part of my problem here is that I was to squeeze my shoulders together. That's not correct. The other thing I do is tense up my lower back. I'm not sure the connection there, but that probably played a little into my soreness earlier this week. We'll see how I feel again tomorrow.
  • Crate crunch: didn't do this one.

No comments: