Thursday, November 20, 2008

Training Log; 10x30 sec; 10K

Based on yesterday's and today's runs, I'm thinking about taking 10 days off every couple days and then getting back out running (not seriously, though). Today felt great. I ran the 10K MFY loop (counter clockwise this time so I could actually enjoy the sunset). 10K recorded dates and times:
  • Sept 14 - 51:08
  • Sept 19 - 49:33
  • Sept 30 - 48:13
  • Oct 30 - 47+ min (tempo run)
  • Nov 4 - 48:39
  • Nov 20 - 45:25
Evidently October wasn't a productive 10K month!

My most recent fastest 5K time is 22:30. Doubled, that would be 45 min. So either I really am an endurance runner or I should be able to run a 5K faster (I pretty much felt like I could keep up that pace for a marathon). I didn't split miles, only every 2, and each interval was approximately 15:05-15:10. So each 2-mile split was very consistent. Average mile time: 7:34. If I could lower that time by a minute per mile I'll be happy. Good thing I have a few years to hit my goal!

According to my Run Less, Run Faster book, my 5K time has me finishing a marathon in 3:38:57; my 10K time has me finishing a marathon in 3:31:00. The farther the distance, the more accurate the projection. Boston is certainly looking attainable!

Then I had to do the real workout (what's probably actually helping me run faster).
  • Lunge: 2+ minutes on right leg, barely :30 on left leg. Ugh. Someday I'd like to be able to do this whole thing without having to take any weight off. But I know I was focused more on pulling into the deepest position possible, so I really was making myself work harder. Will says it gets easier in one sense but then it gets harder because you realize you can work harder.
  • Glute ham raise: I actually lifted the weight bench I was using! That made me feel strong and like I was actually doing something right!
  • Wall squat: Last week I did this entire 5 minutes without hitting the ground at all (granted it wasn't after a run); today I made it 3+ minutes, and the last 1+ were crazy hard!
  • Push up: Did this on my knees and really focused on not shrugging or taking a split second before pushing up. It probably helped that this wasn't with a partner, but I was actually able to push up all the way on all but one.
  • Altitude drop curl: 15-lb bar. I still don't have this one down. I can't move my arms fast enough to let go of the bar, drop and raise my hands, and then catch the bar. It always falls! Definitely going to have to practice that! I didn't want to do more weight because of the drop, but 15 lb wasn't enough for the hold part, especially since I had no partner.
  • Crate crunch: just took a second off between each interval. The further into the 5 minutes, the more I feel like I'm using everything rather than just my lower abs. I guess that's good?
On a completely different note, I found out that MFY offers swing and ballroom dancing classes 3 days a week at times I can actually make it to! I'm definitely going to have to look into those so I can learn! Some day I'll get all the coordination down.

No comments: