Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Training Log; 10 10 10 EDI

This song was on my mind today:

O Happy Day

Oh happy day
When Jesus washed
Oh when he washed
He washed my sins away

He taught me how
to watch, fight and pray
fight and pray

Oh happy day, Oh happy day
When Jesus washed
Oh when he washed
He washed my sins away

We´ll live rejoicing
ev´ry day, ev´ry day
Oh happy day, Oh happy day
When Jesus washed
Oh when he washed
He washed my sins away

God is good!

It was a good morning, too, because Will got up early to work out with me! EDI (a good partner exercise); 3x10 seconds with 10 reps after every interval; 2 sets (I forgot to look at last time's run down, and we didn't go in the specified order on my paper, but it was still tough).

  • Lunge: I've gotten better about not leaning so much and about stepping straight. However, I tended to roll on my foot some--I wasn't really pushing into the ground with the whole ball of my front foot. Right leg was worse than left, I think because by the time I got to the second leg I was more aware of how it felt to do it right.
  • Glute ham with reps to arm's length: The second set was better than the first, but my midsection was still lagging behind. I think I was using my arms more than my legs (it's a leg exercise!), as evidenced by my push up performance.
  • Wall squat: For some reason, I really wanted to try to use my arms to help me stand up. I don't remember feeling like that before and was really trying hard not to move my shoulders or anything.
  • Push up: Ugh. This was awful. After the first 10 on my feet, I did the rest on my knees but still couldn't push all the way up. By the last 10 of the last set I could barely push up at all.
  • Curl: No weight on the bar felt super easy, and then Will says that once he did towel curls (like with a towel--no other weight) and after 50 reps he was exhausted. What does that mean? I definitely wasn't using my lats. Using lats: good. Squeezing shoulder blades together: bad. I don't quite have this feeling down yet.
Here's what Will did:

  • Glute hamstring: starting up, going down, and coming back up; 1 rep every 5 seconds for a minute. 2 sets.
  • Squats: 45-lb bar with ~35lb on each side; 1 rep every 5 seconds for a minute. 2 sets. Shins perpendicular to the ground the whole time, sitting back to keep them so.
  • Row: 45-lb bar with ~15lb on each side; 1 rep every 5 seconds for a minute. 2 sets. This was like a bent over row only he was holding the bar; bent at hips, knees slightly bent, chest out, but nothing moved except arms.
  • Rebound/Altitude drop: arms straight out from shoulder; I was only watching and didn't ask, but from what I could tell, on one he was dropping and then catching to pull up, and on the other he was going down and then dropping (5-lb weight, that is) while he was pulling back up? Not quite sure how it really worked, but if I tried it I might understand. Alternate between the two every 5 seconds for 60 seconds (6 times of each); 2 sets.
  • Rebound/Altitude drop: Curl. I guess pretty much the same only curling. Basically it looks like it's either fast up and slow down or fast down and slow up. Alternate between the two every 5 seconds for 60 seconds (6 times of each); 2 sets.

After work, I headed to Decatur to visit the family (R & J, Aunt Judy, Uncle Ed & Aunt Lucy, the Koks, and a few others) for Thanksgiving. The 6-hour drive took me just under 8 thanks to moving 3 miles in 1.5 hours and then having a bunch of traffic after that. But it cleared up later, so it wasn't terrible the whole drive. Then I saw a falling star! It was beautiful! God is amazing in the way that He orchestrates creation and the world; I find it difficult to understand how some people can think that He did create the world but then, like a clockmaker, just wound it up and let it be. In addition, seeing God's creation make me want to worship Him more, not to worship creation (or a creature if the case be so). It didn't do anything to become like it is.

It reminds me of the Israelites and the other cultures around them that made idols and then worshiped the idols. They couldn't do anything; they couldn't speak, see, hear, answer, react, move, or act in any way. They were made by the hands of the people! The one true and living God can do all those things and more, and had shown Himself to them multiple times in more ways than one, yet they rejected Him and moved to something tangible yet mute and dumb. God, I pray that I remember to worship You only and not anything that has been created or dreamed up by man. You are the author of all things, and You alone are worthy of praise and adoration.

No comments: