Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Training Log; 10x30-sec manual holds; 2-mi run

Warmup was a 2-ish-mile run (I was going to do a 3-mile tempo run but I forgot my GPS). Then it was right into what was basically 5-minute isos. These are called manual holds because ideally, you'd be doing this with someone who holds you down, and then at the end of the interval, they let go and you pop up and then right back down. But since I don't really ever do these with anyone, I just look at it as holding for 30, popping up, and holding again.
  • Lunge right--I held for 1:30 before I had to drop my back knee; I still popped back up and stayed up as long as I could for each interval. The good thing about this one was that my HR hovered around 120-130! So there's no doubt I was working hard.
  • Lunge left--I held for 1:30 before I had to drop my back knee; I still popped back up and stayed up as long as I could for each interval. The good thing about this one was that my HR hovered around 120-130! So there's no doubt I was working hard.
  • Hamstring--I chose this over the glute ham raise because I still don't really get it. I forced myself to continue straightening my legs and pushing to the rear as much as possible.
  • Wall squats--Lisa joined me on this one, so I had some distraction! I lasted 2 minutes before I even started to drop (although my legs were definitely shaking), but I kept getting back up and still doing all the 30-second intervals. I'll be honest, this one felt the best (i.e. I felt like I was working the hardest).
  • Push up--I did these all on my knees (no way could I do 5 min on my feet) and pushed up all the way the first 4 intervals; the next 4 I pushed up as much as I could; the 9th I couldn't push up at all; the 10th I managed to push up slightly.
  • Curl--I used a 30-lb bar and no clock; I hope I did all 10, because Lisa was definitely talking the whole time and not working hard enough (she did have the 20-lb bar, but still...it was way too easy for her!). I could not even lift the bar up to put it back on the rack. Fortunately, someone was wanting to use it and took it from me! That was the best feeling ever.
  • Crate crunch--I still know I can do this whole 5-min exercise, so I was working hard the whole time, really focusing on squeezing the ball and shortening my abdomen the whole time.

Will's notes on my sheet say, "Ignore discomfort," and, "Focus on the task you are trying to accomplish." Except for the curls, I was completely focused on the task I was trying to accomplish. Although I wasn't necessarily focused on counting through that exercise, I was still focused on lengthening through the biceps and keeping my shoulders down and chest up. As far as the "Ignore discomfort" command: I really tried. It's nearly impossible to ignore the fact that your legs are shaking (and mine were for both lunges and wall squats) and that you can't really work your extremities like normal (my hands were hard to open and close after both lunges). We'll see how my arms feel tomorrow!

No comments: