Sunday, October 5, 2008

Imagen de Dios

When God created our world, He first formed the earth: Day 1 He spoke light into existence; Day 2 He commanded that there be an expanse (space) and separated the waters above from the waters below; and Day 3 He spoke dry land into existence. Then, after He had created the house, He created its inhabitants: Day 4 He told the sun, moon, and stars to appear; Day 5 He commanded that water animals, flying animals, and everything living thing that moves fill their respective habitats; and Day 6 He formed man. Finally, on Day 7, He rested as an example to us.

(He created everything in its beauty knowing that we would sin. But in His desire for us to bring glory to Him and for Him to share His love with us in relationship, He sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins. Each of us has sinned, and because of that sin, we are completely unworthy to enter into a relationship with Him as our Father. If we believe that Jesus died to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness, and if we confess our sins, He will forgive our sins and we can know that we will spend eternity in heaven with Him, instead of in hell and separated from Him forever. "If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, 'Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.' 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.')

The Bible is replete with examples of our worth as humans, but the Genesis account of creation is one of the strongest. During the first 5 days, God "spoke" and it was. On the 6th day, He "formed" man. Not only did He form Adam, He created him in His image.

That alone gives me:
  • Worth (defined in the American Heritage Dictionary as "1. The quality of something that renders it desirable, useful, or valuable. 5. The quality within a person that renders him deserving of respect.")
  • Distinction ("4. Excellence or eminence, as of performance, character, or reputation")
  • Dignity ("1. a. The presence of poise and self-respect in one's deportment [conduct, demeanor] to a degree that inspires respect. b.Inherent nobility and worth")
  • Value ("3. Worth in usefulness or importance to the possessor; utility or merit. 4. A principle, standard, or quality considered worthwhile or desirable. --tr.v. 2. To regard highly; prize; esteem")
  • A stronger love for the Lord than I could ever have imagined
David said it best in Psalm 8. How can I, a human, be a daughter of God, the King of kings, and be able to confidently approach His throne of grace with confidence? Because He loves me, because He created me in His image, because I am His representation and ambassador, because I have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, because He has called me by name, and because I have put my trust in Him and called upon His name. It is not by any merit of my own, but only by His Son's ultimate sacrifice in obedience and submission to the Father.

"O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.

"When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,

"What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?

"You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet: all flocks and herds, and the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, all that swim the paths of the sea.

"O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!"

Here are a few other verses to note:

  • Genesis 1:27-28, "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
  • 2 Samuel 22:20, "He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me."
  • Psalm 139:1, 13-16, "Oh Lord, You have searched me and known me. For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them."
  • Mark 10:6, "But from the beginning of the creation,God 'made them male and female.'"

No comments: