Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ride then Rain-Run...Preparation for Rain-Races

  • 30-min ride (trainer) at 100+ cadence (every time I figured out my cadence, I was at or above 100!)
  • 0:1:30 transition
  • 1:12 run in the rain
I timed to all the corners, but the only time I was really paying attention to was from Mallory/Moores to Moores/Landings: 0:05:00 to the gravel spot on Moores; 0:6:53 to the corner (~0.9 mi)
8.88 miles (which is 7:54-min/mi pace)

It wasn't raining when I started on the trainer, but it had been so I didn't want to start on the road. It started raining while I was riding and I considered going down to the workout room, but I was committed to going outside and had my shoes and visor all ready. So I hit the road, and it ended up being a pretty good run after all! The whole time, I was thinking, "This is the last 10K (or whatever) of the marathon...just keep doing what you're doing and running hard and you'll make it through Shelby Park and get within sight of the stadium and not walk."

Usually I give myself 1 mile where I let myself walk if I want (like mile 18 or 19). This time I'm going to continue running the whole time; there will be no walk mile. Walking would take me something like 16 or 17 minutes depending on how tired I felt, and that would pretty much negate anything I'd done over the previous miles. Plus I'll know that people will be at the finish line expecting me to finish in a certain amount of time, and I'll hopefully have a friend waiting for me around mile 20 to finish the final and hardest 6 miles with me. Praise God for amazing friends!

1 comment:

Allen Skipper said...

Wow! I bet you are stronger than I...But then again, I am a weakling...I enjoy your blogs.