Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Oxygen Depletion Workout #2

This morning we did the oxygen depletion thing again, and Will says he doesn’t think I’m getting everything out or holding my breath long enough. Although I want to work hard, I probably am not; my body doesn’t like to be deprived of oxygen and I can’t get past that. He says I can practice it at home, but I think I’m so afraid that I’m going to pass out that I don’t want to do it with no one else around.

Then I did the Harpeth Club bike ride, which was a 22.82-mile route from Cool Springs that took 1:10. We averaged 19.4 MPH; it was a fabulous ride. After a quick transition (that was longer than I was hoping for it to be because people were around talking), I headed out for a 30-minute run. It was 3.5 miles, with the 5K at 26:19 (I walked for a minute after the first mile) and then a slower last couple minutes to cool down. It didn’t feel particularly fast, but I guess without the minute walk it was just about 8-minute miles. For it not being a race, that’s a fairly decent pace for me but it should be faster.
  • Wall squat
  • Glute ham
  • Lunge
  • Push up
  • Curl
  • Crate crunch
(I might have repeated some of this in tomorrow's blog) OK. We have two problems.
  1. I can’t seem to turn the pedals quickly enough. I think my cadence is around 90 RPM, but I was way behind Chris all weekend and today I felt like I just couldn’t keep up with the group no matter what gear I was in.
    • I’m thinking that if Will keeps telling me to do the reps quickly and I actually listen and do so, that might help.
    • Doing the weekly group ride will definitely help push me to move my legs faster.
    • Practicing this while on the trainer (if it rains) will be helpful.
  2. I definitely run tense. And hunched over. Will keeps telling me to keep my shoulders down, and today I could really feel that I had my shoulders up. I kept trying to put them down like he makes me when we’re doing the curl exercise, but then I would inevitably find them up again.
    • Hopefully I can really focus on the way this feels while doing the curl and translate that feeling to the road.
    • I’ll have to ask Will to keep telling me to do it right so that I can feel what “right” feels like.

No comments: