Monday, April 20, 2009

3x30 seconds

We had to use all dumbbells, so it was a little different, but it was still hard!
  • Lunge (45 lb)
  • 1-leg squat (25–45 lb)
  • 10 push ups
  • Glute ham (no weight)
  • Squat (25 lb)
  • 10 push ups
  • Push up (25 lb first, then 45, then 50): He had the 25 first and put it on my back, and I said he could let go of it. I didn't realize what weight he had and told him after the first set that I usually use a 45-lb plate, so we upped the weight.
  • Curl (20-lb dumbbells)
  • Scap pull up (no weight)
Since Will has been home, he hasn't been giving me a month's worth of work so that I know what I'll be doing. Usually I ask just before we start so at least I have an idea (I like to know what's coming; my dad always said that if you're going to give information or preach or teach or anything, you should 1) Tell them what you're going to tell them, 2) Tell them, and 3) Tell them what you told them; I use that philosophy when I listen, too!). Today reminded me why I like to know and be prepared.

As I noted above, we started with the lunge. I did the right leg fabulously and set the weight down to wait for the next rep. Will just looks at me and then reminds me that I have to do the next leg right away. So I commit, step into the lunge, and am just about to start working when he does this crazy limping/running thing and says, "You don't want to be running like this, do you?" I about lost it. Dropped the weight and had to start over. We there was focus lapse number one.

For the curl, we were trying to decide how much weight to use. I couldn't remember what I'd used last time so we went with 20-lb dumbbells. He says that's good since we don't have a 45-lb bar. I usually use a 30-lb bar, if even that, because I don't have anyone to help me (it's not as heavy as I can do, which is the point of this exercise). I don't want to not be able to lift it up and thus drop it on my shins. So he suggests that I just drop one end; that would be so much easier. Oh, yeah, I'd never even thought of that. Struggles.

This was a fun workout; not as focused and serious as usual, and there was a lot of rest time to chat.

No comments: