Monday, April 27, 2009

Dreaming and the Imagination

I'm currently reading a book on stimulating your imagination and imaging a lot of things to help you improve. I'm only in the introduction and will probably write a full review when I finish, but it has started my thinking process, which I always like!

As I was reading it yesterday, I had racing in mind. The encouragement was to imagine what you are going to do so that when you're in the situation, you'll have been there (it says that your nervous system doesn't know the different between mentally being there and physically being there). My concern was that if I start regularly imagining my races, I'll never sleep because I'll never be able to turn off my imagination. I wondered if it was an irrational fear; yes, it probably is.

However, last night I went to sleep at 9:40 and woke up to my alarm at 5:10. During that time, I had four dreams after which I awoke: 12:30, 1:30, 3:30, and 5:10. I didn't record the 12:30 dream until 1:30 because it was short, but then I recorded the next 3 when I woke up. Each took me about 15 minutes to write out (and I omitted A LOT from at least one of them), and then it took between 15–30 minutes to get back to sleep after the first 3. So in the 7.5 hours in bed, I was awake for at least 1.5 and at most 2 hours. So maybe it's a rational fear after all!

No comments: