Friday, April 10, 2009

Oxygen Depletion Workout #3, Swim #5

Today I was so determined to be focused. It helped that Will immediately turned off the TV and there was only one other lady in there working out. It started with breathing on the wall and then the 3 O2 depletion timings. My inhale numbers were all near 70 seconds, so that was almost 10 seconds better than Wednesday. He encouraged me to look at my watch to keep myself focused and working harder, and that definitely worked. I just kept thinking I could hold my breath for longer. Since I was close to 70, he made me do 30-second ISOs and 70 seconds of reps.
  • Lunge: My determination to be focused didn't complete help me today. I had been so focused on doing the reps that when my watch went off signifying that I needed to exhale and then pop up and down quickly, I immediately went into doing the reps and forgot to exhale/inhale. Right leg: repeat. He had to keep reminding me to go fast, and with the reminder I think I succeeded in going quickly. He also said that you should be able to draw a line from the top of your foot toward your big toe, and that's pretty much what should be contacting the ground. When I stand, I put slightly more pressure on the outside of my foot and definitely need to work on that.
  • Glute ham
  • Wall squat: I had to repeat the ISO on this one, too, because I forgot that I wasn't wearing sleeves and I stuck to the wall. On this one, and sometimes on the lunge, my left knee comes in; it is supposed to be straight up and down the entire time.
  • Curl
  • Push up: When I exhale/inhale, I relax, and then it's harder to push up because I'm not in the correct position.
We're trying to figure out how I can ride hard and run fast after, and I mentioned that I was feeling really hunched over this week after riding. Will said to pull my shoulders back (using lats; chest up) right away when I get off the bike, and to really think about it while on the bike. He also said I could try this shudder thing, which is where you turn all your muscles on really fast and then turn them off fast too. If it's really fast and he shows me how to do it, maybe I could try it. But I probably should have mentioned something about how tris are fast and there's not really that much time to think about it during the race.

I headed to the Brentwood Y to swim my straight 2,500, but there were some major storms outside and I got in about 500 (so much for my focus; I was having major trouble counting because of all the kids in the pool and the guy running in the lane next to me and the lifeguards wandering all over. I kept thinking there was going to be a swim lesson and they were going to kick me out. Oh, focus, where were you?).

No comments: